How to remove yellow chalk?

bad, bad, bad chalk. Nothing but white chalk - the others are fairly dangerous, use the glow in the dark kind on light fabric or try the Frixion pen by Pilot. I love that pen - but always test first. You might try some peroxide mixed with some Dawn dish detergent - I've done that before. But TEST on a trial piece of fabric first. There are a few other options I'm sure people will chime in for you. Sometimes an overnight soak works. SewClean it, leave it over night, and check it in the morning. ReWet it and wipe it. It's amazing what a night time soak will do.

Good Luck.

Here are a few things to try--

Sew Clean--I know you already tried it. Be sure to wash the item when you have finished treating it. Sew Clean with it's orange-y scent is meant to be washed out.

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover.

Alcohol applied with a Q-tip.

If your customer has some matching fabric, frog the affected block and remove it. Tuck a replacement piece under the hole and hand applique-stitch it in place. Then re-quilt the new block. A lot of work, but easily do-able and maybe the best solution.

I wish you good luck, an easy fix, and that your anxiety level subsides. Hang in there!

That yellow chalk is the *WORST*! I wish they would take it off the market, in fact, I don't understand how they are able to continue selling it! Even cutting it down with white chalk, it's risky business,, so many other great products out there now! I have ruined a white project of my own using this, I hope it comes out for you! :)

Here is a success story! Last year a friend made quilts for her twin grandaughters. She marked one with yellow chalk! After many attempts to remove the marks, (unsuccessfully) she came across Shout Ultra Brush Gel. She was able to remove all the yellow chalk marks. Fast forward to now. Our guild decided to make a hand applique, hand quilted quilt to be offered with our regular raffle quilt. The markings were faint, so someone decided to darken the marks with yellow chalk, Lots of it!. After the quilt was finished, we found the Shout Gel and lo and behold all the marks came out of the quilt. However it too several washing's to get all of the yellow out. I have seen the quilt and there is not a ghost of yellow on it. The gel is not easy to find. http://www.shoutitout.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx

Archived