How to quilt this one?

This is the second quilt from my first client. Any ideas for quilting? I'm kinda wet behind the ears when it comes to custom quilting (and can't do feathers good enough to put on a customer's quilt yet) but I'm hoping for some easy quilting ideas, but nothing dense. A panto is fine, too. Suggestions are welcome! On her first quilt I used Swirls from CL.

2211933090107368784S500x500Q85.jpg[/url][/img]

Bonnie that is actually a pretty quilt. I hate to see quilts that are well pieced to have a panto on them when I can see what it will look like with custom. This would be a great place for you to practice SID and piano keys. You can throw in swirls and curls too. Great quilt to practice cc's & tt's too. It really has lots of opportunity to play. Just pick a couple of designs you know you can do and then throw in one you want to practice.

Heidi, I agree, it is way to pretty to plop a panto on. This lady has such nice taste in patterns and fabrics and I hope to do it some kind of justice. She is just learning to piece and does a really good job for a beginner.

I've come up with a couple of ideas. I'm trying to EQ7 the individual blocks so I can print them out and draw on them. I've never done this before in EQ7, so it is all new to me. I may post my ideas and see what you all think.

Bonnie - You can also get a piece of clear flexible plastic such as Calendared Vinyl Sheeting or Mylar, lay it over the quilt top and draw on it with dry erase markers. It works great for trying designs or practicing a design for a specific quilt. Plus it was only $5.00 to $10.00 for a one yard piece by 48". That is a pretty top.

That's a really pretty quilt. Love the colors! I've done the drawing on plastic on top of the quilt. It works well to visualize what you want to put on the quilt plus you get the practice of drawing it out before you quilt it. But! be very careful that you don't accidently draw off the edge of the plastic. I put painters tape around the edge of mine to stop me from doing that. Can you tell I did it once?:o: Dry eraser doesn't come out BTW.:(

Geesh! I never thought to put plastic over the quilt and draw. I will be using that idea on the next one! I drew the quilt out in EQ7 and took it to kinkos where they blew it up to an 18 x 24 for $2. I put the plastic over that and am drawing there.

Leslie, I will be sure not to draw on the quilt! The first time this lady brought me a quilt I had a dream that someone stole it and my machine from the garage. I told her about my dream and she got a good laugh, saying she would just remake it and make it better, but I'm not sure it would be so funny to see my drawings in blue marker on her quilt though!

Deloa's book is giving me some ideas. I wish this book was 500 pages! She gives 3 ideas for, say, an Ohio star block, but she does this for about 20 blocks. Does anyone else have a book out there like this one?

I'm thinking of using the CL feathered wreath in the log cabin blocks and looking around to see what might go well in the attic window blocks. I have pretty much the rest drawn out.

My client okayed my drawing for her quilt -- she's excited as she loved the feathered wreath idea. It's the CL feathered wreath and it looks stunning stitched out (I didn't know until today how beautiful it really is!). So that is going in all the perimeter blocks, 14 of them, and some simple continuous curves in the 4 Lamoyne stars and some stitch in the ditch and simple continuous curves in the 2 remaining center Ohio stars. Bead board for the border, 1 inch then 1/4 inch, etc., and some continuous curves in the 4 corner blocks in the border. Little loopies in the red inner border. Then I will see if anything needs to be added to the background to make the wreaths or the stars pop.

The quilt is 76 x 64 and I'm charging her $90. Yikes, that seems cheap ... Oh well, at least it is experience, right?

I've got my fingers crossed it all goes okay. It seems easy to do my own quilts, but when it is somebody elses, the nerves set in!

Archived