OT- Embroidery Software

Hi.

I am looking into embroidery machines to make labels, and maybe more, at home. At this point, a wide variety of lettering styles is most important. I have to do a quick study on the formats (and pros/cons) these machines use.

Any one been there-done-that and found out the way to go??

Software can be so tricky. I want it to be upgradeable since WINDOWS changes often, and want to be able to import designs from the web, and not be locked into a specific brand.

Have to decide if I want it all built into the embroidery machine or use my laptop.

I was put off by a very pushy dealer and have to do some homework before I go looking again. Can you tell I have a lot to figure out??

Thanks for any suggestions or sources of info.

I use Embird. You purchase it in the modules you require. It also has a font engine module which converts fonts into digitized versions. check out www.embird.net

They always upgrade the software which are free unless there's a cost involved, the cost is minimal perhaps $15.00.

Embird is very affordable and is probably the least costly of the embroidery software that is available. You can download a trial version at no cost. My computer has Windows 7 operating system and I am running the beta version of Embird for the operating system. I don't use it often since I no longer embroider much any more, but have had no problems with it.

I have a Babylock machine. I use Designers Gallery and some of their Tools. My first Designers Gallery program came free with my machine in 2004, so I've stuck with it over the years. But, I've heard Embird has good programs too.

http://www.designersgallerysoftware.com/products/

I have Designers Gallery Quilt Label program and use it quite often.

The file format I use is .PES. One of the most popular formats that many digitizers prefer. I have Palette (a specific Babylock/Brothe) digitizing program) but I rarely digitize anything myself. There are a ton of fonts, and frames and whatever you want already digitized out on the net to buy for very reasonable prices. Unless you absolutely love digitizing save your money....

Parm and Carmen - that site looks great! Thanks for telling me about it. I am getting psyched about all of this.

Angie - nope, not into digitizing. I'll save that for the pros! Great site also. Love their packages.

Connie - you are an absolute doll!! Thanks so much for all the time last night. I learned so much and feel like taking the plunge right away!

There are so many cool patterns and images, it is amazing...and looks like a ton of fun. I hope to get to a dealer later this week. I'll let you know how it goes. ****Thanks so much to you all.****

Guest Linda S

I also use Embird. One of the biggest pluses for me is that it also saves files in .iqp format!! I didn't even know that when I bought the software. Of course, I pretty much just want outlines for the IQ, but I suppose I could have it fill in if I wanted it to. :D

I've used Embird since the mid 90's, but only for embroidery. Last year, I think, with one of the updates I noticed quilting designs. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because I have a LA and don't quilt on my DSM. I've since then realized that it does work with my computerized system...so I will be playing with it.

When I first bought Embird it was $50 and I think updates were free and all of the other bells and whistles were $15 a piece. Amazing huh? It's gone up, but not that much in comparison to what else is out there. Not when you see the other prices at $1000 and more.

I use Embird for almost every aspect of my embroidery. I own a Janome machine, but Embird works with everything. Something to think about if you think you might change brands of machines or own several kinds. Embirds learning curve is so simple compared to others and you can always find someone to help you or go onto their site and they have loads of 3rd party info available. Join the Embird Yahoo Group. So much information available.

In all those years the only time I had trouble with it was when Windows 7 64-bit came out and I bought a new computer. Nothing, including Embird, wanted to play nice with the 64-bit. I couldn't get the Iconizer to work. My favorite part. What a PITA for several months. The Yahoo Group moderator figured out how to get it work and I was up and running again. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Iconizer part of Embird. I have so many designs and with the Iconizer whenever I open a folder full of designs I see little thumbnail pics of the designs instead of just the names. It's awesome.

The best part is you can download the program for free and use it for a month or a hundred times or something like that. Give it a try.

Almost every machine has their own group. Go to Yahoo Groups and type in machine embroidery and see what comes up. I belong to a half a dozen embroidery groups. I didn't just stick with the Janome group because all of the groups have great info. Sort of like this forum isn't just for APQS owners.

Archived