When to use TOWA?

Originally posted by aktbone

If using prewound bobbins, should I check them with the TOWA gauge?

Should the gauge read differently for different types of thread i.e. cotton, poly?

Confused about the whole TOWA gauge.:o

The Towa gauge will show a number that corresponds to the amount of force needed to pull the thread through the finger of the bobbin case. If you tighten the case, the force is greater and the number is higher. Loosen it , the force is less and the number is lower.

With very few exceptions, the number you want will be the same for all threads. To get a 20 (or 200 depending on the model Towa you have) for thin poly like So Fine will require a tighter adjustment of the screw. Cotton like Signature needs a looser adjustment because of the thickness of the thread--but the reading should still be 20. So you end up with thread that leaves the bobbin case needing the same force to pull it through the finger area--no matter what thickness of the thread.

I use pre-wounds and check every one with the gauge.

My machine likes 18 on the gauge for almost everything I use. Exceptions are King Tut and Monolon (invisible thread) which need tweaking. I keep a chart that reminds me which adjustments I need for those threads.

I use Fil-Tec Magna Glide Delight prewounds in my long arm. I check each new bobbin with the TOWA gauge. However, I have found the thread pull on the Fil-Tecs is very erratic the first 20 or so inches of thread. Then it settles down and gives a good reading on the TOWA. I think the bouncing everywhere reading I get has something to do with whatever Fil-Tec uses (compacting solution) or whatever on the first strand of thread that comes off the pre wound.

I also have found that the Fil-Tec pre wounds run a higher thread tension number on my TOWA than say---So-Fine thread wound on my own aluminum L bobbins.

Just some observations.

Once you have found your ideal TOWA tension setting, check every bobbin and adjust to that preferred setting. Most of the time all the bobbins read pretty much the same, but there may be that "rebel bobbin" in the bunch that can cause you problems....so, best to check. Adjust your top tension for any other tension issues once you have your TOWA bobbin tension set correctly. I use a variety of top threads, so top is where I make the most adjustments. But, I primarily use Fil-Tec Magna Glides in the bobbin nowadays.

Guest Linda S

I find the first few pulls on the Magna Glides a bit too tight also. I think they over-wind them a bit and it's okay with me. I pull off the first yard or so and put it in my thread cup so I can make some fabulous thread art some day. I check each and every bobbin I use, no matter what kind, even though I almost always use magna glides. You never know when something will have a looser or tighter wind. I run my bobbins at about 22, but that's just what works best for me.

Angie and Linda, I usually have to spool off about 5 yards and then get more consistent tension, so I'm glad you mentioned you encounter the same thing. I figured it was just me or my machine. Though I just started using the Fil-Tec prewounds, I have been running them at about 150 to 160 in my TOWA...and I don't check with each bobbin as I use a bobbin camera and usually can see right away if it needs adjusting.

I don't have a towa, so I use the spider drop test for all of my bobbins.

But, if I did have a Towa, I would test every single bobbin, no matter what thread, and no matter when... I test every single bobbin with my drop test.

I rarely ever have problems with tension, but if I do have some tension problems, I just do some minor adjustments, but mostly that is on the top tensioner knob.

The other day... I just wound a bobbin, tested and inserted it. I saw funny stitches on top (they looked loose, not tight) so I stopped to check the bottom. Sure nuff... something happened and my bobbin thread skipped out of the bobbin spring tensioner and I had eyelashes. But that took about 2 minutes to rip it out and start again.

It's always good to check the bottom, or to stop if you hear a funny noise, or if your top thread is looking weird (stiches not tight)

It's a good practice to always test your bobbin after every wind. And to peek after quilting a bit to make sure all is well down under.

Have fun!

Archived