reversable t-shirt quilt?

I was asked today if I would consider doing a t-shirt quilt made of t-shirts on the front as well as the back (twin size). Has anyone attempted that before? I just don't know how much trouble I might be getting myself in if I agree. What do you think?

Nooooo!!!! Please don't! I have not done any and don't plan on it!

1. Wayyyyyy too heavy. These puppies are heavy enough to begin with even with the lightest batting possible.

2. Some of the shirts are buggers to quilt through. My Millie doens't have a problem with any, but I go slow and sometimes avoid what I think would be problematic areas - yes I do everything freehand.

3. If you really want to go ahead anyways - make you you're ready with a bottle of wine or whatever to help you get through it!

Good luck!!

Did one, they brought me 3 boxes of shirts, I was able to use one box and that was with 36 shirts on EACH side, but it was done per their request. It ended up being VERY heavy, he says it is too heavy to sleep under.

I sashed on both sides and wanted for the two sides to line up exactly, I was very close, but not exactly, there is too much give, even with stabilizer. If I were to do one again, (besides being totally insane), I would do one side sashed and the other not, just so that I would not have to try to line up the seams.

I did one last fall, just explained that the shirts could NOT match up exactly on the front and back (so I wouldn't have doubled seams) and actually it turned out better than I'd expected. It was very important to the customer to make it reversible, so I told her that there could be problems with the quilting but she really wanted to use all the t shirt fronts on the front and backs on the back. I wouldn't be excited to do another, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it either. Just my 2cents worth.

As with all reversed quilts I always stress over getting the backsides centered well enough. And all of those I've done one sided were so heavy that I wouldn't even want them on my bed, but just couch snuggles. The ones I did were sashed in flannel and backed in flannel with dream cotton select as the battings.

Did some also..told them when they asked (before they made it) to be sure to use all the rubbery, sticky type on top..make the bottom sides border way bigger than the front so I could match up as closely as possible the sashings. Went great...Used a larger wander type of stitch.

Archived