T shirt quilt dilemma

A grandmother dropped off some Tshirts for me to make into a memory quilt for her granddaughters high school graduation.

She asked if I could make it double sided. I said that I would not do that and recommended that she have two quilts made. OK, so she said two full size quilts.

Then I realize that there are 60 shirts! Now some of them will only be a small logo from the sleeve or front. But it looks like the mom saved every event tshirt from this girl's life.

First question--there are enough quilts for an event quilt and then enough for a quilt with the cute shirts. Do you think that I should mix them up to create a balance?

Second question--I have a feeling that these quilts are more for the mother than the daughter. Should the design just be to get every single tshirt in there so the mom will feel that her daughter's life (so far) has been 'recorded' on these quilts?

My husband says I should run far away from this project!

I see it as a challenge and I like the grandmother, but he thinks that the mom may be a control freak who will not be satisfied, but the grandmother is the one paying for the quilts.

Pros and cons--

Pros--

You like the grandmother.

You like the business/cash.

You are able (if maybe not willing;)) to do both quilts and consider it a challenge.

You have set some parameters that show you know your stuff.

Cons--

Too many T-shirts. Have the family ( maybe Mom?) cull them to the number you are comfortable with. Maybe for a full-size quilt a 4X6 layout of 24 shirts each. Again--you are the professional and the one in control.

Mixture of event shirts and cutsey ones--again have them culled and separated for you if they decide not to mix them up. Don't let them micro-manage you. Tell them what you need them to do so you can do the best job.

I'm amazed but not surprised by non-quilter's requests sometimes. They need to trust you and your experience so they get the best result possible.

Hi Anne,

I would tell the mom to mind her business. You do what you think is best, if they don't like tough! I did 2 jackets for a friend of mine because she was not comfortable with the fit of the first one. When I did the second one, she still complained about the fit. I went by the measurement she gave me. Of course the second one was too small. I would rather have a coat too big than two small. I regret that I did not insist on fixing the first one. I spent so much time on the quilting and piecing that she ended up getting 2 for one. I hope to get the other one back when I see her next month.

Hold your ground. She wants something from you not the other way around.

What kind of adhesive do you use for the t-shirts. I have so many t-shirts that I would like to make one for myself.

Hi quilters,

I have not got the posting of pictures "down" yet but will give it a try soon when I have time. I have made a few T shirt quilts . I use a light weight fusible woven tricot interfacing to stabilize the t shirt. I don't make the standard T-shirt,sashing and cornerstones,rather I add to smaller t shirts and make a variable style and incorporate small and large but each square is 15" or 7 1/2' i use 1-1/8 " sashing plus borders any size I like at the time. I charge $500. for 12-16 T shirts then around $30.00 for each t after that ,this includes all fabrics, batting (bamboo/cotton) backing and quilting. I keep as busy as I would like to be with this design and cost. Also, I usually do a schematic drawing on graph paper for my own use and a few layouts when i am working on the quilt to get the look i want.Quilts are a lot of work and I like to be paid for what I accomplish. The last quilt I did was just over $800.00 plus out tax of 12%;);)

Anne, here is what I do when this happens. I lay the shirts out on my guest bed using the shirts "I like best." I arrange and re-arrange until I like what I have (with the 16 shirts I like best). Then I lay out my fabric like "I like it" and make a quilt. #2 quilt, I would do the same thing. I make the quilts and fold up the shirts I didn't use and hand them back to the customer. They have the very best looking shirts on both quilts. Now, if there is a "special" T or two they better be telling me or they may miss the quilt! I have never had a complaint. Customers love to see the shirts transformed into a quilt. Good luck to you! The money is good so smile!!! (PS: I never make a two sided quilt - too heavy!)

Archived