Weird looping issue. Problem solved, thanks Dawn

Can someone help me with a odd thread issue. Every once in a while I am getting a loop of thread with kind of a knot on the back of the quilt. I changed needles before I started this quilt. I am using super bob prewounds , but these seem to have some kind of plastic coating on the cardboard. Like the ones that are on masterpiece bobbins. Just not the usual cardboard sides. I am using Superior So Fine thread (variegated) Which I have not used before. Let me say the thread feels different than regular So Fine. Stronger? Very difficult to break. I have adjusted the tension top and bottom, cleaned out the bobbin area,Kissed my machine and cursed at it and I am still getting those loops. Any Ideas, Thanks in advance.

Oh yes, the loop is definitively the upper thread not the bobbin thread.

Chris,

Sometimes the knotting is caused by the twist of the top thread and how it's moving through the thread path...especially if the little knot is actually a "slip knot". That's the kind that you can un-do by simply pulling on one end of the thread as it enters the knot. If that's the case, check the way the thread is coming off the cone, and have it come off clockwise. Flip the thread over if you can if it's coming off counter-clockwise.

As an alternative, instead of wrapping the thread through the 3-hole guide by the tensioner, try weaving it through: up in the first hole, down in the second, up in the third. That removes the twist in the thread. Also check that the 3-hole guide points to 8:00 if you think of the hands on a clock face.

Knots can also be caused by a burr on the hook assembly from a broken needle or near miss, as the burr hangs on to the top thread a bit too long before releasing it as the hook travels around the bobbin.

Give us an update when you can...we can also check a few other things together!

I live with the most patient electrical engineer ever. Hammering is definitely not an option! :D

Sylvia, I forgot about removing the sides of the bobbins. I will keep that move in mind if the thread solution does not work. I'm going to try Dawn's suggestion and see how that works.

Angie, I can check with a metal bobbin, another good suggestion.

Thanks Dawn,

The twist of the thread sounds like a possible suspect. I have not broken a needle since we replaced the hook assembly two years ago. Lucky I guess! But I did just finish a quilt that had a lot of thick seams that I wheeled in to so as to not break the needle. I could have created a burr then I guess. Emory cloth here we come.!

The knot does seem to be a slip knot. I will try re-threading the way you suggested and hope that works. I will gladly post the results. Thank you all so much

Ok, Dawn was spot on! I switched out the So Fine Variegated thread for my regular So Fine. No more loopies and slip knots. I had the chance to put the variegated thread back on and threaded the machine as Dawn suggested and no more loopies or knots on the back. Obviously, this thread was coming off the spool in the wrong direction. Here I was blaming the horse when it was the passenger! This is an excellent post to keep for future reference. The loopies and slip knots were only appearing sporadically along the stitch path and were extremely visible. Thank you Dawn!

Archived