Half Full Bobbins

Gee Norece:

I sure wish, that the pre-wound bob's from the Milli would fit into my DSM, that way I could use them up when I'm piecing. A half full bob can go for quite some time in a DSM, & then I wouln't have to wind bob's at all. ;)

Is there a DSM that has the same size bob as the Milli.??? I have tried to put a pre-wound into my old Singer, but it's not liking it much, maybe the plastic ones would work, I'll try it & let you's all know. ;)

Gerry,

Take your half full pre-wounds and re-wind them onto your DSM's bobbins and that way you can use the thread for piecing if there isn't enough on the bobbin to keep going on the LA.

Me I am luck, my LA and ALL of my DSM machines use the same "L" bobbins so I waste little time in re-winding, and can just use them to piece with.

The Brother 1500, and the Janome machines use "L" sized bobbins.

HOWEVER, there are times that I can't wait for the bobbins to get empty fast enough and I just peel the thread and throw it away....all except the varigated stuff that's to expensive to waste no matter what.

I keep a container of all the bobbins with alittle bit for practice practice and I use them for the basting line when attaching the quilt top to the machine.

Also for basting other quilts. The whites and tans can all be used for basting where color isn't that important.

They are also great to use for hand applique especially the bottom line thread and putting on binding where the thread isn't seen.

I have many, many bobbins and just leave them with the thread on. I know I will get back to that color on another quilt at some point in time. If I need to unwind a bobbin I usually just throw out the thread which isn't too often.

On the prewound bobbins...I am lucky I can use them on my DSM.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I have been slowly collecting all the colors for the Signature cotton threads and those I just keep no matter how little is left on the bobbins as I know that I will use them eventually.

I have done some quilts where the customer supplied threads and will likely never have that color again. For those I use them on charity quilts just to get rid of that color. The backs of those are so busy I doubt that anyone can even tell if there are more than one color thread there. Our guild makes really poorly made and quick quilts that are given the homeless and they just want something warm.

I once wound thread on a spool to use on my DSM but that took forever. I never thought of winding it on the bobbins............I will have to try that. I have also never used my longarm thread for piecing........................will have to to do that as well.

I use M sized bobbins on my Gammill and they do not fit anything else. At $3 a pop they are expensive to have as many as I need and with the 32 I have they are all full so I need to order more. I usually buy 5 every time I order thread. I have a stand alone bobbin winder and try to just wind as much thread as I need but sometimes I wind extra and then that bobbin is sitting there till I need that color.

Since we are on the topic.............................how many bobbins does everyone else have?

:P If I were to round them all up.....I think I should have about 4 dozen or so....loose them from time to time and reorder more....loose some more and reorder....find a bunch and think I should put them away so they don't run away again....then they run away and I have to buy more. Mad mad circle, but its what works for me.:D

Archived