big holes

I have just finished a BIG king-size quilt for a customer. For the back, she used a wide batik that was obviously made for quilting. It's a nice fabric, fairly heavy weight & very tightly woven. The needle has left big holes in the back which I cannot make disappear easily. I saw this at the beginning of the quilting & switched to the smallest needle possible, but it did not help. I know this will probably go away with washing, but other than that, how would you recommend that the customer treat it to minimize this effect? It is especially noticeable in areas where a thread had broken, so there looks like a double line of stitching on the back. The front is not affected at all.

post--13461908596023_thumb.jpg

I'll be philosophical and say---it is what it is.

You can't control how big the needle holes appear even with stepping down a needle size. The combo of needle, thread, and backer do it all.

Spritzing the frogged holes with water and rubbing a bit will lessen them and of course the first wash will make them disappear.

You've got some pretty tropical quilting going on there and I would love to see the front!

Archived