Needle keeps breaking - may be falling out?

I've broken three needles today. It appears as though the needle is coming loose from the needle bar.

I've positioned the needle and I've tightened it all I can. I've even "timed" the machine (moved the needle bar to where the eye of the needle is fully visible in the bobbin area).

In looking where the point on the hook touches the needle scarf it seems to me as thought it is touching a little low on the scarf and moves the need back more than just a tiny bit.

but in the last test I did it seemed as though the needle just fell out of the needle bar.

Any suggestions?

If the needle screw is tightened too hard a groove can wear on the end, which causes the needle to slip out even when the screw is very tight. Remove the screw and thread it from the opposite side. Hopefully if that's the problem, the groove will not line up the same and you can tighten it down. Order a new screw as soon as you can. If you mess with it too much you can strip the screw threads which entails replacing the needle bar.

As for timing, the needle should only be kissed and slightly deflected by the hook. If you get poor stitches (esp. skipped stitches) move the hook away a bit. Also, the needle needs to be fully at the bottom of the down-stroke when you check the needle eye. You can check the manual if you need to raise the needle bar a bit.

Good luck--it sounds like you are comfortable making repairs.:)

I've already adjusted the needle bar to get the correct position.

Could it be that the first time the needled broke part of it jammed up in the needle bar, part of it not falling out and thus not letting me get the needle far enough up in the needle bar?

I've dug around up there with an old needle but can't tell -- nothing has fallen out. And when the needles break, I don't always find the pieces right away.

I've only done two quilts on this machine (new in Feb this year - trading in my old Millie) so surely the needle screw hasn't gotten a groove yet. You think?

what length is the screwdriver are you using? Are you using a short stubby screw driver? If you are, stop using that one and use a longer screwdriver. The longer screwdrivers give more torque and control to tighten down. When I was a newbie I was using the stubby short ones and my needle kept falling out. After using the longer ones I never have that problem. Also make sure that the needle is firmly pushed all the way up into the shaft and hold it there while you tighten. I use a flowerhead pin to hold the needle in place so it doesn't turn (with my left hand) and tighten down with my right hand.

Originally posted by NolansNanny

Could it be that the first time the needled broke part of it jammed up in the needle bar, part of it not falling out and thus not letting me get the needle far enough up in the needle bar?

If you don't have a needle in the needle bar, you might be able to look through one screw hole and see the other screw hole - I'll have to go down to my own Millie and double-check. If you can't see through, there might be something up there.

You don't say where you are located - can you call APQS service tomorrow morning? Or your local APQS Rep? Sometimes it's easier to walk through it on the phone - or even have your local rep come by to double-check the timing.

Keep us posted on what you find out! That way we all learn!

I can see through the screw hole so nothing is stuck that far down.

I should know this but I never had a reason to look before. Can anyone tell me about how much of the needle shaft (the thick part) shows below the needle bar? 1/8", 1/4"?

That way I might be able to figure out if the needle is going up far enough that there wouldn't be anything stuck in it.

Nolansnanny,

I tried to send you an email today with the timing document attached, along with information about the needle hole set screw. However, it bounced back saying the email was invalid. If you send me an email to dawn@apqs.com I can try to re-send it for you.

In the meantime, if your needle screw is stripped out, it won't hold the needle in place. Try the opposite needle hole, or you may need a new needle set screw. They run a mere 50 cents, but you may also be able to get one locally in a hardware store (ask for a 4-40 screw). Keep us posted!

Problem solved! After taking a whole bunch of things apart and putting back together (more than once) I replaced the needle screw and my Millie seems happy.

I bought new screws (4/40 - thanks, Dawn!) at Home Depot. When I got home I looked at my old needle screw and it appeared to be slanted on the end that would come in contact with the needle. I had finished two (custom) quilts since I got this machine, so don't know if God was watching out for me or if I dropped the needle screw and the end of it chipped off.

Anyway I finished the quilt last night. Thank you all for your patience and knowledge and willingingness to share!

Archived