And I thought I was the one in control. Ha!

My scheduled quilts for May came up with two missing. One quilter is notorious for being late getting me her top. I have worked around this for six years. She dropped it off on the 31st and I will quilt it when I can fit it in.

The other missing quilter explained to me (when she called me today to schedule a drop off--at her convenience today-- of her scheduled-in-May top) that even though I had called her in April and again two weeks into May and yet again last week, she just couldn't seem to get it all together. Her mom visited for a week so she couldn't miss that fun to drop off the quilt. She wasn't happy with the borders but figured I could fix them quicker than she could. The weather was sooo nice she couldn't manage to concentrate on anything. blah blah blah. And she was angry and very disappointed that I now dared to tell her she was bumped to October. That was unacceptable. I kept very silent. pause pause pause. Well, she would have to make other arrangements *sigh*. pause pause. That just wouldn't do *sigh*. I offered to call her if I had a cancellation or a NO SHOW (get it?) and wished her luck and thanked her for thinking of me. Bye bye.

I guess no matter what you think and what you hope for, your customers are the ones that control how you feel about yourself. Right now I'm relieved I'm done with this thoughtless lady--whom I have never met--and also mad at myself for still feeling bad about it. Well, that didn't make much sense! But I know you all get what I mean. Those who quilt for themselves are grateful they can do that and not deal with customers. Those that quilt for others fully understand what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks for giving me a safe place to rant--I have a beautiful Lonestar loaded and I'm going immerse myself it that for a while! (This one showed up early!)

I am sooooo glad I don't quilt as a business. I do quilt for others now and then, but on MY timetable, not theirs. I had a lady call last month wanting a King size quilt done and I got the impression she was heading for the car and on her way ! I told her I was swamped with my own things and a few things for others as we were getting ready for our quilt show and Fair this summer...........I told her it would be at least July before I could do hers. I also told her to feel free to contact someone else if she wanted it sooner. At first I felt guilty, but then thought NO, I am not going to do that to myself. This is my hobby that I love and if I can make a few bucks extra along the way, that's great, but I am not going to work myself into a lather for someone else when I get the impression they think my time is all theirs. :P

Linda, you can rant here any time you want. I understand exactly what you are saying.

I had a lady leave me a voice mail message about needing a "blanket" quilted for her daughter's graduation party on June 2nd. Oh, yes, that is today. Well, I returned her call a few hours later that day and it took her 8 days to call me back. She was busy. She said the quilt wasn't back from the embroider yet, but as soon as it came back, she would call me. She also said she would have numerous referrals for me - parents of kids in her daughter's graduating class. Well, that sounded great; I want more customers. So, again I hadn't heard from her, so I called her on May 24th. She said the embroider will have the names of the kids finished (everyone in her small, private school graduating class) tomorrow, and could I have it quilted in time for the party on 6/2. I said that was quite a rush, but if she could get it to me Friday evening, or at the latest before noon on Saturday, I could do it over the weekend (a time slot set aside to do my quilt) and get it to her early in the week. She called me Saturday afternoon and said she would get it to me Wednesday evening, as the embroider left for the long Memorial Day weekend and would not be home until Tuesday. She also needed it done by Thursday evening, as Friday she had to get her hair and nails done for the party today. Humm...I told her she missed the time slot and I could not do it. Perhaps she would like to be added to my list and I would happily do it for her in August, as I am booked all of June & July. She was irate and said I will be ruining her daughter's graduation party. RIGHT!!! All my fault!!! I am not in the least upset, as I think she was a bit delusional, and certainly a snob who is used to getting her way.

Most of my customers are very nice people, but I have had a few real PITAs.

Interesting that our wonderful, sweet, eager and encouraging customers--the majority--all blend into a big fuzzy ball of niceness.

And one PITA and all the details surrounding the situation are engraved in our memories with sharpness forever!!

Thanks for the validation, friends. :P

I started keeping a file folder on these PITAs (even if it was only a phone call or e-mail) so I can remember the details if they should contact me again. These are the folks I may request a $50 non-refundable deposit from to hold their spot. :P Each one has their own alphabetized folder right in there with my customer's folders.

Well, my feelings are hurt because I quilted for a perfect customer and her quilt came out just so so pretty and then she brought me another and it was beautiful too. Then, no more! So, I am just left to wonder what happened..... :o:o:o It is like the guy you went out with and had a wonderful evening and then he never called again......

LOL, Sylvia. I like your example....."and then he never called again."

I think quilters are fickle. I had a number of customers leave me and go to another "new" gal because she announced she would do her first 50 quilts for free. She had flocks of customers, but all were freebees.

Since I know her, I asked her, jokingly, if she would do some of my personal quilts (for free, of course) because I was having trouble finding the time to get them done. We had a few laughs about that and she said her 50 quilts are now done. I said that was great and she said she isn't counting anymore, wink, wink, but it "feels" like they should be done and she will start to charge for the rest of them as of now. That was a few weeks ago, and she had several people call, but when she said she reached her 50 free quilts they said they would get back to her. LOL.

Maybe it is the economy, or just human nature to look for the lowest price, but I see that happening a lot in my area. If a LAer is running a special, she will get the quilts.

Guest Linda S

Oh Sylvia - you were just too easy!! LOL Men are always like that, perhaps your customer had too much testosterone! I just asked someone to go elsewhere also. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Linda good for you! Stick to your guns girl. I've only had that happen a couple of times and usually I can get something of mine done so I'm happy. Lately I'm the one behind on my list. Life has really gotten in my way as of late. I'm taking off Aug. & Sept. to prepare for my daughters wedding Oct. 6th. i just don't need the stress of dealing with quilting too. I have lots of stuff I want to do so I'm sure the time will go super quickly. I love what I do but I hate having my days so planned. Next year if I continue to do customer quilts I need to be better at planning in some time for me too.

I think we all run into these "special" people from time to time. I had promised one customer a quilt by Friday a week ago but had a small stroke on Thursday and her response when I called to tell her there was no way she was going to have it the next day she said Well as long as I have it Monday.:o Well she calmed down when Monday came and I didn't have it finished. I did attach the binding on the quilt for free for the inconvenience and she was really gracious to me the rest of the week. Funny thing happens when you have a stroke, your brain has to reboot and sometimes it reboots a lot.

Awww Linda, I understand completely because I know how good caring and kind you are...

Well, let's just say in general, people have priorities and their priorities change constantly. And with that, excuses are made as to why the priorities changed... OK no problem. It's their life, their choices to change priorities. So, just like these people, you have priorities, too. You make choices on managing your priorities. It's like going to the dentist or eye doctor. If you have to cancel your doctor appointment, the receptionist will gladly fit you into the next open slot... could be 2 month's wait... or more! So next time you have a customer that is "disappointed" that you couldn't accommodate her change in priorities, just explain that your business operates similar to other professionals (you could mention dentist, eye doctor) and that your schedule is booked in advance with customers (you could say patients) and ... well MAYBE the light bulb will go off above her head and she'll get it.

I wonder if she throws a hissy fit at the doctor's office if they can't accommodate her cancelation with immediate gratification? Hmmmmmm

Yeah, unfortunately people think that just because we operate a quilting business out of our home, that we are not "professionals" just like any other profession that offers services to the public.

As always, you responded perfectly to her. In fact, I do like the idea of the $50 non refundable deposit / holding fee for the advance-scheduled space. If they cancel, they don't get the $50 back. If they don't cancel, the $50 will be applied to their balance for the quilting service.

So maybe this type of non refundable deposit would be incentive for them to stick to their original plans and priorities. And hopefully they will treat you with more respect, too. Just like everyone, You deserve to always be respected.

Linda, you did the right thing. Stay the course. She is at fault; not you!

Sandra, I've been in your shoes. My response is that they show the quilt top without harming it and that I will quilt it AFTER the party/graduation. They are not happy, but I refuse to rush.

Archived