Recommended/ Favorite L.A rulers?

I have problems with rulers that are longer/larger than my hand!

In my arsenal, the ones I use most are--a 2"x 4" and a 2"x 6" rectangle--both for SID.

A set of arcs with etched lines for curved crosshatching and sometimes CC-ing.

DeLoa's Appliguide.

Denny's crosshatching rulers.

Hmmm.... I guess that's all! Oh, I OWN lots more rulers, but I USE these few.

Least-used--a long ruler with angles etches for crosshatching--I use it lots for marking.

A long one with shallow curves on one side and sawteeth on the other.--Again, only used for marking.

A set of circle templates. I can stitch around the smaller ones and the larger are used for marking.

You can see I am partial to a smaller ruler!

I imagine rulers are both person-specific and task-specific and those are the tasks I need a guide for. SID, around applique, curved and straight-line crosshatching and control when I'm tired.

Maybe I need a ruler garage sale!

I named brands above where the rulers are unique designs. The others are just shapes and any brand you buy will get a similar result.

Itty Bitty for SID

My Pinched Squares

Boomerang's, sizes 6" 8", 10" & 12".

Ronda"s Curved crosshatch

Little girl

A paisley or 2

A couple of different size hearts among others..

Don't forget to look at craft stores and such for scrap booking templates that you can just chalk around and you can quilt the shape freehand or quilt around it Creating Spaces.

Hi Julie,

G'day from a fellow Aussie!

I use a short ruler, about 2" x6", with a notch from Victorian Textiles for SID. The notch is really for the hopping foot, to guide it around applique, but I put my left thumb in it to steady it as I SID! I've also got the same style but a bit wider which I use when applying and sewing binding down.

For small applique, I use Deloa's applique guide.

For cross hatching, I use Westerlee's cross hatching ruler.

I use different size circles to sew - circles!

I use a clamshell shape template which I got with my previous machine, which I use for larger CC's and scalloping in borders. I like it because it does both the concave and convex side in the one template.

I use different size CC's templates from Tracey Browning.

I've got a feather spine guide, one side is a shallow curve, one is deeper, I think from Vic Textiles again.

I've got a lot more than that, but these are what I use mostly.

Hope that helps!

I have the Tri-Arc rulers from Constantine quilts. Lyn Heilman at Quilted Memories sells them in the states.

I have the full set, and use them on nearly every quilt that needs CC's.

I also have Deloa's boomerangs, an Itty Bitty for SID, and a ton of others. But those I mentioned are the ones I use most often.

Archived