Drawing tools?

Does anyone know if there is a program out there that lets you load a picture of a quilt and then plan your quilting designs for it? I know we've talked about using bamboo tablets...how does that work and are there other options as well?

Just wondering....?

Vicki, I believe there are programs that you can do that specifically for quilting, but I use my CorelDraw program. I am proficient in it because of the other type of work I do, so I can import a .jpg or .bmp image and draw right over it. I draw a box around the outline of the quilt, and then continue drawing lines around blocks or sashings to separate them out. This makes my drawing actual size. Then I freehand my designs within the blocks (this is where a bamboo tablet can really come in handy; however, I am really used to the pen feature of the program so that's what I use. Once I am done, I can separate out the block elements, and print them out at full size for reference if need be.

I did have a bamboo that I used briefly briefly and then stored it. When I went to use it again it would not work. After researching the problem, it seems it is not uncommon for this to happen after being left sitting for a long time.

You are wise to ask here. Just don't go out and spend mega-bucks for the first thing you find. There are some very inexpensive systems that work just fine. I have a Bamboo pen pad I bought for $99 about 6 years ago, still works fine, and I do use Paint. Really simple and does the job adequately.

Guest Linda S

I have a little free program on my Samsung tablet - it's called Skitch. You can get it in the app store. It lets you draw on a photo.

Sorry I didn't see your question back to me, Vicki. My tablet was the Wacom bamboo tablet. The problem I had, after having stored it for a year or more, was that the pen would no longer recognize the tablet or vise versa. I hope to get a new one as I understand this issue has been addressed in newer models. I loved to use it with CorelDraw, but I do get by with the pen mode in Corel.

Originally posted by LadyLake

Originally posted by hmerrill

Vicki I just use paint. I find it works well for what I want. I have an IBM tablet. I also downloaded an ap to my ipad to draw with when I don't have my laptop.

Do you remember which app it was, Heidi?

It is GoodNotes. Seems to work pretty well. I don't use my iPad most of the time but when I'm on the run I do.

Guest Linda S

I have the Samsung Galaxy 2. It is a 10.1" tablet. Not ideal for drawing -- you have to get special soft-tip pens to use with it, and your lines will be fairly thick, even if you select the thin line. I've not been able to do very precise work with it yet, as I could with my Wacom, but it's good enough for me when I'm on the go, or when I'm teaching and I just want to highlight an area for students to see what I'm talking about. Otherwise, I'd use my wacom with my computer at home.

Archived