APQS tension

I'm reading MQU and the last article about machine maintenance talks about tension. It says that the tension discs "pulse" in and out about 1/8" while stitching? Mine don't move at all? I have an Ultimate I - and about the little spring thingy that is supposed to sit at 8:00 (I think), it does not bounce back very quickly? Any ideas, is this article for another machine?

Thanks!

Cathy, there is lots of variation between machines, if your stitches are fine, then leave it alone, if not, the tension spring is easy to replace and APQS will provide you with step by step directions on how to do that, the spring will become weak over a long time of use but the pulsing of the discs is a new one to me, the discs are designed to provide steady light pressure as the thread travels through, that's why bits of fluff caught between them cause a problem occasionally. Hope this helps, I tend to heed the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Cathy: The take up spring on my Ult2 used to drag on the machine head making the take up slow. To correct the problem I had to loosen the tension mechanism assembly screw (an allen screw on the head), move the assembly out a bit so there was room for the take up spring to move freely. If the paint is worn under the spring, perhaps you have the same problem. Jim

Cathy,

Your machine uses a pressure disk tensioner. The article refers to rotary tension mechanisms. As Jim suggests, if your tension check spring is rubbing against the side of the machine, the tension assembly can be readjusted. So can the pressure on the spring itself. I have emailed you instructions on how to do that. Let us know if you need more help!

Thanks Dawn - I will check that. I'm happy with my stitch 95% of the time, the right to left occasionally leaves the RR tracks and at the beginning of the bobbin and again at the end I have to adjust? Maybe my spring is in there wrong (since I've tried everything else - thread path, tension holes, different threads/bobbins, new needles (bigger), loosening quilt sandwich, check pigtails) I've just been "living with it" but maybe this will help!!!!

p.s. I have got to post a new photo - that is my Ultimate II from 2 years ago!

Archived