fee for binding

sewnice

I charge .09/inch to make straight binding and machine sew it to the right side of the quilt. So, if a quilt is 100 x 100, the fee is $36. If I sew the binding on and do the handwork, the fee is .27/inch so for the 100 x 100 quilt, the fee would be $108. Needless to say, I don't do a whole lot of handwork!:D

I charge .10 per inch to make and attach binding to the front edge of the quilt - .12 per inch if it's bias binding.

If I do the hand hemming, it's .25 per inch.

I do a fair amount of making and attaching binding, but not many takers on the hand hemming - just as I hoped. :D

Sherri Dolly

Overland Park, KS

I apply a lot of bindings to the front of quilts. I used to charge by the linear foot but now offer a flat fee of $20.00 if they provide the binding and $25.00-$30.00 if I make it. I figure I always manage to get it attached in about 1/2 hour. Many of my customers are elderly and don't like pushing a quilt under their machines. This is affordable for them and a decent profit for me. If they want me to hand hem as well, it is $3.00/foot which includes everything. I've only done this on quilts belonging to non-quilters (i.e., found grandma's top in a closet).

Kay

I charge $1.50/ft to make and attach the binding (If I'm putting it on - I want to be the one to make it too) & $1.50/ft to do the handwork.

100x100" = $33 to make and attach, $33 to do the handwork.

If I'm going to be putting on the binding I want to be the one to make it since I find that often clients will either make it really wide, or really narrow, or too short, etc. Nothing against what they do, but I know what will work for me and including the making of the binding is far better than struggling with a binding that isn't working. - Just my opinion though.

I know this is probably far less than most, but I put attach the binding while the quilt is on the longarm, as I go, so it's really not too big of a deal, and I stitch down the sides to baste anyway, and I don't mind doing handwork. I can do it while watching TV in the evening and still make $10-15/hour. I'm good with that.

I don't do a ton of it, so maybe I would feel differently if every client took advantage of this service.

If I make and attach the binding, its 10 cents per linear inch. If the customer makes the binding and I attach it for them to whip down, I charge an hourly rate. This goes pretty fast for me.

Unfortunately I have been doing a lot of machine bindings lately! Making and applying to the front, and stitching down the ditch to catch the back. I am pretty good at it and don't usually need to pin. For this I charge 15 cents per linear inch.

You cannot pay me enough money to whip down bindings by hand on a customer quilt. :D

Awhile back, sitting and doing the finish work on my own quilts was almost soothing. My quilt was almost finished...last loving touches going on, it's almost on the bed!!

That was then, now I just can't do the hand work as well, my left thumb just about kills me...guess I hold it too tight. Now I can hardly wait to get the binding stitched down, and start another one!! I tell myself they will hold up longer machine done! Please, don't tell me otherwise!!

Cheryl

APQS Liberty (Annebelle)

Archived