Ultimate II's

I know Bonnie and I have Ultimate II's, and I know Penny Streeter just got one, but who else has one? What tricks and techniques have you come up with to make your machine more manageable and your stitches more even. I still get long ones going straight and itty, bitty, teeny ones going around curves or in points.

Teresa,

I have an Ultimate 2 and I'm not an experienced user but I was told to make sure that my motor speed is right for how fast I was traveling. I was breaking lots of needles at 4/5. Now I turned it up to 5 and I'm not breaking. When you come to a point just say to yourself pause and then go on in the new direction. I learned this at a class last weekend.

Don't bother ordering Larry's Liner ruler because it won't work on our machine even with the adapter foot from Gadjet Girls.

I try to remind myself not put a death grip on the handles but of course I catch myself.

I like my machine and I'm grateful to have it but I guess there are reasons they stopped making it. Ha Ha

I have enough trouble understanding how my machine ticks and if I had electronics it would be over the top.

I heard that some don't bother with thread like King Tut because it gives them fits. I bought some before I heard about it and haven't been able to try it yet. You can email me at cbaber_1@msn.com and I would be glad to discuss anything. I really want to learn how this baby ticks so we can get along.

Cheryll, I run King Tut through my machine all the time. I just have to set my top tension really loose. I guess I should have worded my question differently, but how do you get even stitches when you are working SID or around applique. When ever I have to do tight spaces I make tiny stitches. I can't stop every inch or two to turn the machine off and change the speed control. It is set between 5 and 6 right now. I have slowed it down to 4 before, but any slower than that and it just drags through the fabric.

That is good to know that you can run King Tut. I will try it. I have not done an applique quilt yet or a stitch in the ditch. I think that type of quilting is fairly difficult on a non-stitch regulated machine. I've only tried freehand and pantos. People who do all the stitch in the ditch don't they mostly have stitch regulators. I was told by a long armer who didn't have one that stitch in the ditch is really hard. have you used any rulers? I just bought the chicken wire large.

Hi Teresa,

I will be joining the Ultimate II owners here in a few days after we go and move the machine sometime this weekend if the weather holds out. Before this machine I had a Hinterberg and Brother PQ1500 9" arm machine. I did a lot of quilts with that particular frame and machine, so hoping the learning curve will not be too long for the Ultimate II. Earlier this week I emailed APQS and asked if they had any backstock of literature or videos for this particular model of machine and frame. Today I received a video showing how to assemble the frame and how to use and care for the machine. What a nice surprise! I also have a book with the system, but it's not very clear. Ink drawings. The video is so much better. Regarding you question. I don't know how much you have used your Ultimate II, but I think it takes a lot of practice to find the right speed and movement of the carriage to get overall even stitches. I know that was how I learned on my previous set-up. I expect it will be lots of practice with this machine too. I'm so glad to see there are other Ultimate II owners on this forum. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Hi, Sparkle,

Were you the one that I needed to get the pictures for...or was that someone else. This week has been a mess with teenage granddaughter and such so I haven't even been down to my machine the last two weeks...if you are please let me know your email address by u2uing me. Thanks.

Out of wonder, how many more ULT II"S are there. I know of Sheri B, and these 5 how many more can we come up with....we need to sorta stick together here, as the newer models do things we will never be able to do, and I just am wondering how many more are out there. I have had my machine since late 1997 and have pretty much taken off the last 2 years due to my husband having a nasty industrial accident. Am getting ready to hit it full time once again.

Teresa, to answer your question regarding SID, its almost impossible to do with our machines....you can get close, but without the Stitch Regulator, I have a terrible time, so I do most of my SID with a short arm domestic machine. I do everything that I can on the LA and then take it to the shortarm and finish up there.

Hi Ladies,

We can SID with our machine even if you don't have a stitch regulated machine.

Hints or "Baby Tricks"

No stitch regulator

Start out at a slow speed where you are comfortable and use your guide. If you need to turn your machine off do.

Don't try to stitch the full length of your ruler. Stitch 3 inches or so, stop move your ruler and start again.

Lift your guide to move it instead of sliding it along as you go. I personally like my little girl from Gadget Girls for SID or my 8" Hartley ruler.

Do try to relax your grip. No need to choke your machine. It only makes it harder to stay on line. Not to mention it will tire you out.

Use a thinner thread for SID like Bottom Line. If you get off a bit it blends so well. And it is easy to rip out if you need to.

When I really want to be sure every stitch is in the ditch I will just about take one stitch at a time. Even though I have a SR sometime manual is best.

Teresa,

Remember, it takes practice and relaxing. You can do this I have seen you. Know the design first; you will have a better flow when you quilt it. Another hint, if you know the design going too slow it can make it harder. Maybe you need to speed up. Worry less about getting in and out of your point and around your corners just try to move with the same rhythm all the time. Knowing you need to get in and out of the points faster at that speed. Then you will be at a pace that makes the rest of you stitch perfect.

Ultimate II are great machines. APQS has just improved as with any product. Just because you have a standard car dose not mean you can't drive just like everyone else ;)

Myrna

I have tried to do SID with my machine turned way down on 3, but it sounds like the motor is really having a hard time with it turned down that low. The machine was just at APQS for a good once over, so I know it's running right. Maybe it's just supposed to groan and whine when it's turned down that slow.

Working around applique is even worse for me than SID. I go very slowly around the shapes and my stitches are so tiny they are almost impossible to frog if I mess up.

Myrna,

I'm like Teresa in this regards as well. I can turn down my machine to where its almost lugging, but the vibration at anything below 5 is almost uncontrollable. I have to put weights onto my machine if I need to sew at these lower speeds. The head jumps and buck and crow-hops all over the place...and has even been known to jump off the glider. Its kinda like holding onto a small jack hammer. My stitches aren't as tiny as what Teresa described, but they aren't always 100% even...and getting into the ditch its totally not going to happen. NOW with working with a ruler and doing as you mentioned I can get close say 2-3 threads from the ditch, but I can't hold the ditch and have the stitches bury themselves like my past LQS and customers were demanding. This is why I turned to my domestic shortarm to do all my ditch work. However, if the 2-3 threads is what LA'rs call SID I'm there, but the LQS that I was working with wouldn't accept that and I can't even begin to tell you how much frogging I did before I got my first Shortarm and started to do it only that way. (Have done way to many King quilts this way.)

AND Feathers I stopped doing feathers all together, because I couldn't make them look like they had been hang stitched....and since have learned that the LQS was a bit out of control in that department (in talking to both Pam Clark and Linda Taylor), and have since started to do feathers both marked and freehand, and proud to say that I like them, and that's all I'm asking for right now.

I've been out of the customer's view for a bit under 2 years now because of a nasty industrial accident that my hubby had and am just now getting ready to get back into this. I need to know if I'm on the right track or if I'm all wrong. I can't satisfy a customer if I don't have the knowledge of what is right and wrong. I take classes and ask questions, and I'm a firm beliver that there isn't ever a stupid question just 20 different answers and that its up to me to pick and choose what works for me, but first I need to be the sponge to be able to sort out this information.

Please help me if you can, I have been wondering about this dilemma for some time now and would like to get not only your spin on it, but anyone who would like to help me out. Thank you for any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bonnie,

I sent you a private message too. No hurry for the pictures now unless you want to send them. APQS sent me a very informative video tape of the Ultimate II frame and machine. I received it yesterday. Just in time, because we are moving the frame/machine tomorrow. No rain.

I know of one other person in my surrounding area with an Ultimate II. I don't see her here on the forum. She has a machine quilting business inside a quilt shop. She is so busy with her Ultimate II she is booked up with clients until late April last I heard. She does everything and anything with this model of machine. So, I guess with practice we can too!

I have not done much "stitch in the ditch" at all with my previous quilting system. But, I'm going to give it a try with the Ultimate. If all else fails I can sit down with my walking foot! This I know works fine! :)

Talk soon,

Gals, I also do not have a SR (Discovery); but I'm learning to do almost everything the SR machine can do. Are you familiar with Dawn Cavanaugh's work? WOW - and she does not have a SR. Fors SID I use my Hartley Fence and 8" ruler, like Myrna suggested and I'm learning to do cross-hatching in smaller blocks with no problems. I agree the Larry Linear is not workable for me either, but I keep trying; it's too hard to turn on the machine and get your hands in position to move quickly enough. I have found this true with the mirco-driver too, but I'm determined to use it and keep ppp. I have found that by doing pantos I have learned what speed is best for me and learning the fluid motions to get even stitches. Anything we want to do with these machines is open to us, it's just take lots of PPP and determination.

I don't think it so much that we don't have SR is that we have a different glider system than you...our machines don't glide as easy as yours and our side to side movement is sometimes pretty jerky no matter how slow or how fast you go. We also don't have a 1/4 foot like yours...our foot is almost 1 inch across with a very tiny hole in the bottom of the washer....yes that is what our foot is a bent washer so our vision isn't as good as yours. So doing SID is pretty much impossible for me...I can get close like I said, but if its suppose to be buried then with what I have it isn't going to work. We can't see very well. And even if we have the after market foot that the Gadget Girls sell that is 3/4 inches across and with a bit bigger hole, but still not what you have to work with.

I get along fine without a SR, I can make very nice stitches...and have helped many customer take local fair and quilt show awards, but there are some things that we just can't do like you guys can....and its flustrating.

Bonnie, I'll stay on the east side of the U.S., just so I can go to that show in NH some day. And, we'll be up your way the week of March 23. Our middle son is graduating (YESS!!!!!) on March 23 at 7 p.m. They are in Indiana, PA, which is on the west side of the state.

Speaking of hopping feet (how's that for changing the subject) did you ever get the fancy new one you ordered. I have emailed her several times and haven't heard a word. I'm glad I didn't send the money yet.

Sharon, Does your discovery have horizontal or vertical wheels on the machine head. Ours are vertical, like on a car. Maybe that's why the control is not so good on the Ultimate II. I wish they would make a new carriage available for it. That and an add on stitch regulator would make it near perfect. It is lightweight and the table is easy to use. It really is a great machine, just hard to compete with the newer ones. Kind of like a car or a computer I guess. You can either drive it till it dies, and be behind everyone else; or you can keep plunking down money on a new model.

I talked to her the other day...and they sent back the first batch...the product that they received was a needle width off so they are hoping to get the first ones back in a few more days. I sent the money because I knew if I didn't then I wouldn't have it after Christmas....:) I don't mind waiting...and I hope to have a great foot when its done.

I don't know why she isn't emailing you back...I would have though she would. She always has either answered mine or called me. Not sure what's going on.

HEY SHERI....ARE WE THERE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI BONNIE, AND THERESA, I GOT YOUR E-MAIL REQUESTING, BUT HAVE NOT REC'D ANY OTHERS. MY COMPUTER TOOK THE DIVE,AND NOW IM ON HUBBY'S LAP TOP SINCE END OF NOVEMBER.

OK, TO FILL YOU ALL IN, (AS I'VE ALREADY SPOKEN TO BONNIE...SHE GOT THE WHOLE SCOOP...), MY HUBBY CHEWED ME UP ONESIDE AND DOWN THE OTHER FOR GETTING EXCITED AND POSTING THESE LITTLE FEET BEFORE THEY WERE RETURNED FROM THE MANUFACTURER.) NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM PAYING FOR IT. AND YES, THE FIRST BATCH WAS RETURNED, AND IT WAS WELDED IN THE WAY THAT THE NEEDLE WAS POSITIONED ABOUT A NEEDLE'S WIDTH TOO FAR BACK. SO, HUBBY HAD TO RE-CUT AND SEND THAT BATCH BACK. I AM ANXIOUSLY AWAITING AS WELL, AS I JUST HAVE THE PROTO-TYPE AND WANT THE FINAL AS WELL. I AM USING MY PROTO-TYPE WITH 1/2" RULER GUIDES, AND LOVE IT. I CANT WAIT TO HEAR WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS ONCE THESE LITTLE BUGGERS GET DONE.

AS MY HUSBAND HAS SAID TIME AFTER TIME, ALL GOOD THINGS NEED PERFECTING, UNTIL PERFECTION IS REACHED.

HENCE, HE KEEPS SAYING "I TOLD YOU TO WAIT...I TOLD YOU TO WAIT.. UNTIL THEY WERE READY TO BE SHIPPED". I JUST GOT SO DAMN EXCITED TO HELP OTHER ULT II's OUT THERE, I JUST DIDNT THINK.

ANYWAY....PATIENCE, THEY ARE COMING!

AND THERESA.... HERE IS MY E-MAIL AND PHONE # IF YOU WISH TO TALK.

jsbutler@neb.rr.com

402-450-8321

And I do have everyone's e-mail of all who are interested. I will e-mail when "hubby" says its ok. LOL!!!

I am another Ultimate II owner. I have tried SID using Sherry's Dainty Ditcher, and it is doable, but not worth the increase in my blood pressure! I will wait for the new foot. My stitches are longest when I travel in a straight line, so I have to really focus when moving directions, otherwise, I am happy with stitch length, would live to have a SR, maybe in my next life. My baby loves Aurifil thread.

Stephanie, I just read your post. Glad to know you also own an Ultimate II. I know what you mean about SID. It is almost impossible with the flat foot. My ruler always ends up under or on top of that foot. I've never heard of Aurifil thread. Is it a polyester? I may have to check it out. Mine works well with Maxi lock, which is NOT good thread. I can also run the King Tut and the Highlights from Superior, but not the Rainbows. Isn't that weird?

Archived