Thread breaking every five stitches. bobbin case and bobbin flew out

Thread is suddenly breaking every five stitches. This will take awhile to explain.

I broke a needle about 4 quilts ago. Got out pieces and quilted with no problems.

Last quilt was for another person and had several thick seams and used a sheet for backing. Heard clunks when hitting her seams.UGH (do I need to retime?)

Present quilt has beautiful stitches and going well UNTIL....

I didn't get the bobbin seated well on the present quilt and it went flying with the case and landed on the floor. Thread wound around the hook post.

Thread now breaks about every five stitches.

Here is what I have tried and nothing helped: Looked for burrs again and found potential rough spot on the needle plate hole. Got 320 emory cloth and a call into Amy.

1.Looked for burrs found none in bobbin hook and plate hole (ran thread around the hole looking for burrs).

2. WD 40 and oiled the hook assembly

3. put in a new needle pointing eye to the center. Changed to pointing the eye slightly to the left. Put in another new needle.

4. checked thread path about a million times. The thread is tight between the tension disk and doesn't pull easily from the needle when not in the fabric: loosened the tension.

5. changed bobbin case.

6. changed thread in top and bobbin. Retreaded machine multiple times.

7. took off needle plate and checked for thread pieces and viewed the hook assembly again for burrs. Is the hole in the needle plate supposed to be round like the screw holes? Mine is not round.

8. read all the manuals and watched APQS help videos

9. Lost 5 pounds due to stress and frustration ( don't recommend that for a weight loss program)

HELP HELP HELP

UPDATE: I FOUND A BURR IN THE NEEDLE PLATE HOLE AND POLISHED IT OUT WITH 320 EMORY CLOTH. MADE ONE PASS ON MY QUILT ROW AND KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED THAT IS ALL I NEEDED. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND THANKS TO BRENDA POTTEBAUM AND AMY AT APQS FOR THEIR QUICK RESPONSE AND HELP.

I would re-time the machine. Also, take a piece of that flat silicone dental tape and run it around in the hook assembly. You might have missed a tiny piece of thread caught there. Despite having cleaned and blown out the machine as recommended, there was a piece of crud in mine that made a world of difference once it was dislodged. But, the big clunks could be an indication the needle bar has moved up just ever so slightly and the eye just isn't in the perfect spot anymore. Also loosen your quilt a bit. Its probably a combination of things that just came together perfectly to cause the problem.

Since the first step for timing is to check your needle depth, that may be all you need to do. The heavy seams and "clunking" may have jammed your needle bar up just enough to throw it out of time. If that' s the case you won't need to mess with the rest. And if that's not the case, you're on your way to an "only scary the first time you do it" afternoon of timing.

Archived