Newbie advice

Well I did it...took the plunge. A former co-worker of mine called yesterday and asked if I'd like a couple of table runners to practice on. No pressure and I could do something easy...meandering or stippling or whatever. She didnt care if they weren't perfect. Of course she'd like them for Christmas gifts. I was ready to actually load a quilt of mine to start. I decided I would do it. It took me all afternoon to load the first one. I have one part done and feel pretty good about it. After a little break I am headed back down to continue. I kind of feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I've stepped out of my box and comfort zone. Whew! Thanks for all the encouraging words from all of you.

As one newbie to another don't give up! Dec.the 23rd I wll have had my Millie for two years.I have only quilted five quilts and several practice pieces.

At first I was afraid of the machine feeling I would do something wrong and mess it up.Then had the mind set that not using it,it was messed up and not doing me any good.So what did I have to loose? Then the controll buttons keeping that in mind and getting that set in mind was a bit of a trick at first.

I like pantos as I like quick and easy but my dream is more free motion work.Feathers of any style is what I aim to be able do to one day.And with ppp and alot of drawing they sure look better than when I first started.Maybe to be on one of the many quilt top I have waiting to be quilted.

Shortly after I bought Millie I thought that I had lost my mind for such a purchase.But I'm glad I did as she is always there when I'm ready.And like so many others the problem I have when looking at quilt top is what design?Where do I start and thread color? But that really doesn't matter as I quilt for myself so no one will see or know my mistakes! And the quilts I have made as gifts were loved and they didn't see the mistakes.The one who recievies the quilt only sees it as a whole and knows it was made just for them and made wth love.

I'm hoping this new year I will be able to do more quilting and just maybe one day I will post pictures.Thank you all for your help and know how that you post.It helps more than you know.

Wishing all a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Fran

Wow Fran you said it in a nutshell. I am feeling the same way! And I've had mine about two months. I plan on PPP for a long time. I do feel good I actually put a table runner on the machine yesterday. I was given free reign since it was for practice only. It took me ALL afternoon to figure out if I had it loaded correctly...then deciding what to do with it and had to pick a thread color...whew. I was tired last night but almost finished with the first one...yippee. Felt so good! I really love this forum with all the advice and beautiful quilting to see. I think I have them all bookmarked...lol. Someday.

Great advice PPP that is a must, and dont be hard on yourself...It will get better and better.

This is my advise.

When you get comfortable with using you machine with the SR

start practising in manual mode.. you will be glad you did.

My first two machines did not have SR so I learned that way first and I am very glad .

I have had to finish two quilts in manual mode.

1. You learn your speed and the machines speed to make great stitches.

2. Your machine feels and sounds different.

3. But most importantly you know you can finish a quilt if your SR goes out.

So PPPPPPPPPPP and get to know your machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived