HELP Machine oil on the quilt top

I have searched for 2 days I know that I saw the way to get machine oit out of a quilt top before but I can't find it. I thought that I had it saved under my favorites but can't find :( .

I was ironing a top and getting it ready to load when I noticed a spot that was not there before. I thought it was water from the Iron at first then looked a little closer and OH NO it was OIL!!!! We have an oil space heater as the only source of heat in the room where the machines are in as it is an add on room on the back of a trailer and it leaked oil out and I didn't know it when I mooved it to get to the ironing board and the quilt bottom. :angry:

What do I do I'm afraid to try anything afraid I'll make it worse! If only it were my quilt (sigh). But no it is one that needs to be done if at all possible by Monday! NO stress at all here.

Connie, you might try putting cornstarch on oil spot and leaving it for a while to let it soak up extra oil and then try dishwashing liquid. The cornstarch blows off easily. I usually just use a foam brush to apply dry cornstarch.Don't rub cornstarch into fabric when you first apply it-just let it sit and absorb extra oil. Becky

Maybe this post from Linda was what you were looking for. Hope it helps.

More newbie advice--spot and stain removal

Started by ffq-lar, Dec 23 2012 11:01 AM

I think that is it but I just couldn't find it thanks :D

I tried dawn and had just pulled the corn starch out of the cabnit when I checked in again!! thanks.

Baking soda is my choice--I've used it a lot .Pile it on with a Q-tip and let sit for 20 minutes. Then vacuum or brush off. Repeat if necessary.

Cornstarch will do the same--but remember cornstarch is the same product used to make spray starch. Not recommended if you live where silverfish love to eat starched fabric. :blink:

Archived