Civil War Swap Block -- paper piecing/cutting suggestion

Warning, don't cut out all your paper piecing fabric pieces before you've figured out what sizes you really want to work with! I'm making a sample block and cut all my fabric pieces out as suggested by the pattern (just for one block) and am sorry I did as some don't quite fit no matter how I angle when paper piecing, but am happy I didn't cut EVERYTHING out!!

These are not Tonilyn's instructions for the pattern, so it is not her fault, and when paper piecing it is probably best to figure out what size fabric pieces you like to work with anyway.

Vickie, the "Add Enough" looks really useful. I hadn't seen it before. I have their Add a Quarter and like using it.

After a little fiddling, using paper instead of fabric, I have the measurements figured out. Instead of cutting squares, I'm going to do strips as less fabric will be wasted, which is the one thing I dislike about paper piecing, wasting all that fabric!!

Thanks for suggesting "Add Enough." I may have to "add" it to my collection. :P

I like to do strips for foundation piecing too. This is how I learned to do it from Peggy Martin.

1. "Best Press" all of the fabric before cutting into strips. (Keeps bias edges from stretching.)

2. Lay out strips #1 and #2 with right sides together, #1 on top.

3.. Chain the foundations together, but onto the strip. (Leave enough extra fabric between foundations pieces, for the fabric to open up.)

4. Cut them all part.

5. Press with a dry iron.

6. Proceed on to strip #3. Strip #3 needs to be right side up.

Fun!

I just printed out my block paper piecing section, and it was way off sized and distorted (7.8" instead of the 6.5" as stated - and skewed). I reprinted, making sure I didn't miss the 'print actual size' option, and again it printed too large and skewed. So I used my vector program and redrew it correctly, and I'll take the pattern and print out the 48 pages tomorrow. I am excited to get going on this - this is my first block exchange participation!

Need to order the background fabric - where do you all get yours?

Marci I got mine at fabric.com. they have free shipping over $35. And in the search box type in "coupon." I think if you spend $40 there's a coupon code to us.

The instructions for printing my block said to save in adobe, open and print from there for accurate results. Not sure if you tried that but it sounds like you have what you need.

The blocks indees look like fun! I finished my sample and am happy with it! I'm sure you are going to love the exchange!

No Problem, Tonilyn! I don't think anything of verifying my pp patterns every time I make copies from books, etc., anyway. I was just surprised on the amount of skewing more than the size difference. I wanted to mention so others checked as well.

And Bonnie, thanks for the fabric.com suggestion - I ordered the Kona Bone and some wide back premium muslin I needed. I did put in 'coupon' and got a 20% off $40 offer - AND I received free shipping, too!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived