Needle Bar stuck

The needle slipped in my Ultimate 1 which caused it to break.  This has happened before without any major dramas - I have done all the usual things replaced the needle, replaced the screw, used the opposite side of the needle bar for the screw.  This time however the Needle Bar won't move.  The Front Hand Wheel will not move.  I have taken the side cover off and I can't see any obvious reason why I can't turn the wheel.

Any suggestions.

Vivienne

Did you find the broken tip from the needle?  I would guess it is stuck in the hook assembly.  Give it a good soaking with WD40 and try to rock the flywheel back an forth. If you are comfortable doing timing you could remove the hook and then try rotating the flywheel and that would confirm the jammed hook problem.  Also where are you, maybe someone close could help you out.

Just had another thought.  Remove the needle if you have one in and remove the hook retaining finger.  If the flywheel moves now the problem is in the hook.

Let us know how you make out.

Nigel

Vivienne,

Nigel is right, the needle tip may be caught in the hook. The best way to try and "unfreeze" the hook assembly is to turn it in the opposite direction of its normal rotation to try and free the hook. However, before you do that you'll want to be sure that the gears inside the gearbox are not damaged.

To do that, first locate the "hook retaining finger" that holds the bobbin basket in place. I've attached a photo to show you where that is located. You'll loosen the screw holding it in place and then slide it back out of the notch it rests in on the bobbin basket. When it's moved away from the hook, try turning the fly wheel once again. If it turns freely, that means that the gears are fine and the trouble is in the hook assembly itself (probably that little needle tip is jammed.)

Now slide rotate the bobbin basket until the notch for the hook retaining finger is back up to the top, and slide the hook retaining finger all the way into the opening. (This is not its final position...we'll need to readjust it later.)

With the hook finger back in place, reach up and turn the fly wheel COUNTER-clockwise (down on the left, up on the right) very, very firmly. If you have a fly wheel cover on the right side of your machine, you may wish to remove it so that you can get both hands on the fly wheel and turn it firmly. This makes the drive shaft turn in the opposite direction, which will hopefully release the particle jamming your hook.

If you are able to rotate the hook in this opposite direction, then blow out the hook and re-oil it, and turn it by hand in the proper direction (clockwise) to check its rotation. If all feels well, then you'll need to readjust the hook retaining finger before you button things up. The hook retaining finger should only extend into the notch on the bobbin basket about 1/3 of the way...just enough to keep the bobbin basket from spinning. Your top thread must pass between the finger and the opening in the bobbin basket with each stitch. The timing instructions I've attached show the location of the finger for you, along with its proper position.

Once you get things moving, again, be sure to inspect the hook for burrs or damage that could cause thread breakage. If you find any, buff them out with emery cloth.

Let us know how it's going!

TIMING INSTRUCTIONS.PDF

Hi Dawn & Nigel,

Was hoping not to have to do that :)  Oh well, life is full of challenges.  I am having an issue with the screw that holds the 'black finger' in place as it is burred - I got my machine second hand and it must have been like it since I got it as it is definitely not something I have fiddled with.  I have put some WD40 spray down the small hole above it and have my fingers crossed.  Am assuming that I can replace it with the same type/size of screw as used elsewhere in the machine.

Nigel, unfortunately there is no one close by as I live in a small town in the middle of Victoria, Australia where the temperature at the moment is 30 degrees C and rising for the rest of the week.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Vivienne

Hi Dawn,

It has taken some doing but I have finally removed what was left of the needle from the Hook Assembly - I had to take it to a local engineering place in the finish as it was really jammed in! 

I have followed the manual and as I had to take the Hook assembly completely out I have used a file and smoothed out the marks on the shaft, I have filed out a very small nick on the Hook Assembly and made sure it is clean.

Anyway I finally have the machine back together again and it sounds okay - there is a very slight click when the needle goes down which I seem to remember from Amy's class in Carroll. 

As we worked on a machine head off the table there it was easier to check the needle depth into the Hook assembly.  I made the marks on the needle as suggested by Amy but it is a bit awkward making sure the needle eye comes down far enough from under the table, though I thought I had it right.

But I don't think I have adjusted the needle bar quite enough as the needle is not catching the bobbin thread and making a stitch.  Before I fiddle with it again I just wanted to make sure that this would be the problem, nothing else.

Regards,

Vivienne

PS Doing the class in Carroll was well worth it as I would not have been game to tackle this job without having done it.  Thanks again for your help when I was there.

Sorry you are still fighting your machine. I have just put on a new hook assembly and had a similar problem. My timing was off a hair so it would pick up the bobbin thread. I'm just guessing ad I'm no expert. I get a small click but it is when the hook kisses the needle. So I might not have it quite right. So don't feel like you are alone in this a 1/16 of an inch adjustment makes a big difference.

Shirley

Hi Vivienne,

Sounds like that became quite a job! Shirley is on track. Provided that the hook tip itself did not receive damage, then either the needle bar depth is not quite right or the deflection needs to be a littler greater. Make sure when you turn the fly wheel by hand that you see the entire eye in the bobbin area and just a little more silver above the needle eye. If that looks good, then pull the hook a little more closely to the needle.

The video for timing Amy did is now on the Service and Support tab on the APQS.com homepage. Click on that tab and then on "instructional videos" to find it. It may help reinforce that the sound you hear is about right. Here is a link.

http://apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=xWeqiuvwk5E

I will check back later today to see how you're doing. Let me know if you need more help!

Hi Dawn,

Have watched the timing video a couple of times.  I had a very gentle click and I now have a definite 'click' or more of a 'thud', when I turn the needle bar by hand this seems to happen a bit after the point of the hook assembly passes the needle scarf.  The point of the hook assembly passes on the line marked on the half way of the needle scarf.  I have an 'air'gap between the assembly and the hook assembly.

I have noticed that the bobbin case basket moves very freely in the hook assembly until the hook finger is in place which makes it difficult to make minute adjustments

Should the point of the hook assembly line up with the edge of the needle hole in the bobbin case basket?  This is how I have it.

I have altered the needle bar and have a small amount of needle above the eye showing just inside the bobbin case basket.

Thought I had it right as the bobbin thread was picked up on one occasion but the next time I turned the needle bar I noticed the bobbin thread was around the blunt side of the hook assembly point

Not sure what else to do other than purchase a new hook assembly.

Regards

Vivienne

You don't mention where you are at. Maybe someone is close to you that can help. It can take some minute adjustments. Maybe you should call Apqs and talk directly to Amy or one of the other techs. They don't seem to mind and are very patient and helpful. Sometimes they can help by listening to the machine or you could send them some pictures.

It can be very frustrating. I think I finally have mind just right. Today will tell.

Hang in there.

Shirley

Hi Vivienne,

I'll have Amy look at this thread and also give input, but my guess is that in the midst of getting that stubborn needle tip out, the bobbin basket was "sprung". If that's the case, then you're right in that a new hook assembly is the only option.

Shirley, thanks also for your encouraging words for Vivienne. She happens to live in Australia, so the 14-plus hour time difference can make it a bit tricky to make connections but we'll do what we can! :)

Oh my I didn't look to see where she was. I just thought maybe someone would be close like I'm in Rock Springs and Annie is in Jackson. I still have to make time to go to Jackson for a visit so I can meet her. I might wait till spring tho but the way the weather has been it might come anyday.

Shirley

Hi, Vivienne....it sounds like you are so very close to having the timing set correctly!!  I believe the 'thud' you are hearing is the needle hitting the silver part of the hook assembly as the needle is on the upstroke....if you set the hook point to hit the needle scarf just a bit lower, I believe you will have the clearance you need to avoid this problem.  It should hit below halfway in the needle scarf, but above the bottom 'curve' of the scarf....

Dawn is correct in mentioning possible damage to the bobbin basket caused by the needle break...the basket will move freely without the hook finger in place to hold its position.  I will have that finger in position loosely before starting the timing process to keep the basket in position. If you did damage the bobbin basket, you may notice a little more 'rattling' as the hook rotates, or possibly some tension issues that are not corrected in the usual methods....

Please let us know if you continue to have problems....you're almost there!!  :D

Hi Dawn, Amy, Nigel & Shirley,

Thanks for all your help.  I finally have the machine going!  But have to admit to getting some outside assistance. 

After going to the dentist this morning - an hour & forty minutes drive away - to have a filling and with a numb mouth I had another go when I got back home. 

As you said Amy I was close but not close enough as I still couldn't get it just right.  We used to have a 'Shirt' factory in this town until June last year which manfuctured clothing and the guy who serviced their machines also has a Grain/Fertiliser Supply company so I phoned him to see if he could help me.  He did a couple of little taps with a screw driver to get the Hook Assembly in the exact position required and the timing was right.  He was impressed with what I had done and that I did know what I was talking about when I told him that I was having trouble with the timing so I didn't feel a complete failure.

Thanks again,

Vivienne

Archived