NQR - New Orleans Vacation

My Mom and I are going to take the train from Memphis Tenn. to New Orleans in Sept. or early Oct. :lol:   and I was wondering if any one on here could give advice on where to stay like to keep it under or around $100. a night. 

We know a few places we want to go and things we want to see but would also love any suggestions you all might have. 

My Mom wants to visit a plantation and then she doesn't care

I have got to go to the swamps and taste the food can't wait for that!!!   I want to do it all and am NOT one to set in the room and watch tv I can do that at home. 

I would love to go to some quilt shops while I am there how fun to make a quilt when I get back about the trip!!!!! So does anyone know where quilt shops in New Orleans might be?   Need train fabric too  :o

Country Inn and Suites is where we normally stay.  (It used to be a bank) Can't tell you exactly the amount per night but it is easy to get to, easy access to shopping and in nice walking distance to the dome, bourbon street, and the trolly cars.  Be sure to take the trolly down to the park and zoo.  So many beautiful homes to see and I love the zoo.  We love the children's museum and the food is over-the-top!  Have you ever been before?  I have never been afraid but mostly because we know where we are going and when to go.  If you don't know your way around just be careful.

Katrina put the old quilt shop out of business and they may or may not have another one at this time.  I don't think quilting when I am in NO!  Do the ghost tours and the cemetary tours and the swamp tours and you will feel you have seen lots.  Take the carriage tours around and see the artist on the square.  There is good food on every corner and in between!  Also good spirits!  Oh, the train ride will be a blast as well! 

Camellia Grille is an excellent place to eat, on Carrolton Ave at St Charles.

Commander's Palace is very high end restaurant.

I lived there, so no idea on where to stay. Sorry.

Not sure about quilt shops as I wasn't quilting when I lived in NO.

Enjoy yourself, and most certainly, avoid certain areas at night. The French Quarter is best seen in the day, imho.

Sylvia and Kristina

Thanks I have never been to NO before and my Mom has never really been anywhere without a huge group or without my Dad.  I know that I need to be careful at night and that the French quarter is day only.

I like buying at least a fat quarter and put it in a quilt just to say this was from.... I read a post on here about a scrapbook quilt and I thought that would be a cool thing to do and do it like a crazy quilt with trinkets that I seem to buy on vacation and add the photos!!! 

I have taken trolly tours in other towns and that is one of the things that we were planning on doing the one that you ride and walk. I want to go on the nigt haunted walking tor I did thatin Salem MA and i was way cool.    And I found a tour that is a swamp plantation tour combo.  Not sure yet about which way we will do it depends on $$$ and I have a tour book coming from the NO that has additional info and coupons :P  my Mom hate it when I say i have a coupon for that! :rolleyes:

Ok I went on and on but I am a tad bit excited. :lol:  :lol:

I should add...visit the cemeteries if you get time. They are amazing! The old tombs and stained glass. Take a camera for sure!

The street cars are fun too. Some seats on them can flip so that you and your mom can face each other...i love that.

I went to tulane university. If you get the chance, visit its campus or loyola universities campus. The architecture will amaze you.

The garden district along at charles is fascinating to look at. The houses, with multitude of colors.

Can you tell I miss new orleans? Haven't been back for a couple of years. You might even see houses still abandoned from hurricane katrina...with paint still marking them as to survivors or deceased found.

Also, There is a plantation tour where you ride a river boat and have a meal on there as you go. I believe it goes towards Baton Rouge. We take the afternoon river boat ride about every other time we go as it is just fun. One river boat ride takes you from the River Walk to the zoo. That's a good one. As far as I know there are no trolly tours but you can just hop a trolly going in that direction. If you ride to the city park be sure to note the time of the last trolly or you'll be stuck a long way from Canal. Be sure to take plenty of one dollar bills and quarters as they don't give change. Also, if you are taking any dress up clothes be sure to eat at Galatoires on Bourbon. Michelle was my soriority sister at Southern Miss and that is their family business. Just a word of caution....when I visit N.O. I don't take a purse. I put my stuff in my pockets that button or zip. That's just for safety.

Central Market for a Muffuletta Sandwich - yum - 923 Decatur Street

Cafe du Monde - several in the city - search on the internet for a location near you.  Great beignets and coffee

Many wonderful places to eat - we tried many in our prior 2 trips.

We are still exploring the city.  Have done most of the French Quarter and the Garden District.  We are going again in Nov. and can't wait.  We will go a few days early and stay before boarding a ship for a cruise.  We love the city.

I carry an over the shoulder purse that is lined with wire so it can't be cut from your body.  Also a very secure closing system.  Purchased at a travel shop.  We have travelled quite a bit in Europe/Mexico/South Pacific and I have always carried this purse.  It is a bit pricey but well worth it.

Hi Connie,

I am a New Orleanian and you will love our city.  

As far as your plantation visits, my favorites are Oak Alley and the Myrtles.  

When visiting the French Quarter, don't venture too far away from the main streets, Bourbon, Royal and Decatur.   If you have time, make sure you check out the Audubon Zoo.  It really is a great zoo!

Coffee and beignets.....best one is right across the street from Jackson Square.

There is only one quilt shop in the city itself.....Mes Amis Quilt Shop.... www.mesamisquiltshop.com.  The Quilted Owl is just outside the city....  www.quiltedowl.com.

There are several within an hours drive of the city.  My favorite is Bright Hopes Quilting.  Bright Hopes is located in Mandeville and you would take the Causeway across Lake Pontchatrain....the Causeway bridge is 26 miles and is the longest bridge in the US.  Another favorite of mine is Sew This in Abita Springs, LA. This one is not too far from Bright Hopes.

www.sewthis.net.

If you go to Baton Rouge, you should check out Mama's Quilt Shop in Independence, LA..... www.mamasquiltshop.com.

Thank you, thank you, to all that have replied.  I will look into the places that you have suggested and I know that I want to try the beignets I should get my travel book in the next couple of weeks.  When it comes in I will look at these posts and start booking things to do and where to go.  I hope to visit th cemetaries and a boat ride is in order.  Not sure if we are renting a car but if we do we will take Moms GPS thing. 

Agian thanks for helping me.

Archived