looking for techniques

My husband wants to make an art quilt with lots of green values in it depicting human forms. so this should tell you that it would proably be lots of small peices. He wants it to be lap size and could be used as a functional item. Here is the question how should I tell him to peice it?  I know he will not do a bunch of tiny peices sewn together. Not that much patience in him. But don't think he would be satified with just cut peices stuck on the fabric and thread painted around it. The main thing he would not like is when washed it will have raw edges fray. He says  I am suppose to tell him what to do and he will do it. but not sure what would be a good direction to give but I can't think of too many options. So if anyone has techniques they have used I would be happy to hear about them :huh: .

Bonnie:

I'm going to follow your responses closely.  We would ALL like to do detailed images with no teeny tiny pieces (patchwork or applique) that would not have raw edges & fraying.  I'm not sure that there is a technique for that but I'd love to hear about one.

Have you ever seen Noriko Endo's work?  She does amazing landscape quilts with tiny snippets of fabrics carefully arranged on a background.  She covers the snippets with a layer of black tulle and quilts the heck out of it.  They are beautiful art pieces but certainly not functional.

Maybe someone has a good idea?

He could trace his figures on one-sided fusible  (a la Eleanor Burns) lay the bumpy (glue) side of the fusible face down on the right side of the fabric and stitch on the drawn lines. Trim the applique within 1/8th of an inch and snip into any corner and sharp outside curves. Snip a hole in the center of the fusible and turn the applique piece right-side-out. Use a wooden skewer or orange stick to force all the fabric to the edge and make sure the fabric covers all the fusible. Then iron the applique in place. To reduce bulk you can "picture frame" the fusible first by trimming within an inch of the seam. The applique can be top stitched, invisible-stitched, blanket stitched, or actually tied down through the quilting process.

Archived