tension spring

how long does the original tension spring last?

i think mine is getting uncooperative not as responsive

i have a spare spring but it looks like its made with  thinner shinier wire with more rings.  is this still the right one ?  has the stock changed over time?   the original one is almost black.

mind you i can't get the factory tightened screw to loosen with the allen key.  i really wish the factory could think about making them just tight enough so we can open them when needed.  not excessively tight.  

has anyone any insight on replacing this spring please.  or an idea of when it needs doing?  it needs servicing really...

Janette,

I think your talking about the spring on the tension assembly right?  I changed mine out probably in the last 6 months and I too thought the one the machine looked heavier but it works great and I have no issues.  I'm sorry you're having a tough time getting the screw out and I don't know how to help with that except maybe get a man to unman tighten it for you  :D

Funny, Janette, but I've been experiencing the same thing so last week I bought a new tension assembly and a spare spring for the exact same reason. I haven't installed it yet, but am excited to see if this helps. My machine is a 2005 and I'm the second owner; its the original one. The machine has been used for personal quilting for the most part; not commercially; which is probably why it has lasted this long. I haven't checked the difference in what the springs look like yet.

thanks.  i realise now that  the  spring that gets  changed is inside the tension assembly not the thicker one that i can see. i realised that i was also trying to undo the wrong screw what a dope i am...  so i now have the tension dial off ready to replace the spring.  

thanks again...

It all depends on how often you use your machine.  Heavy use, it should be changed out every 6 months and light use can go longer.  I've seen where the check springs has lasted over 4 years.  Like I said, it depends on your use.  As for me, I change mine out every 6 months.  And yes, I do have 2 tension assemb;ies.  This makes for quick changes so I can swap out the check spring when I get a free minute.  This is my practice and been doing it this way for the last 15 years without any tension problems.   Regards,   zeke.....................

Great idea, Zeke on having mulitple tension assemblies. I bought a spring and a new tension assembly; so I would have a spare of one or the other if needed. I think I will purchase one more spare next time I buy parts or accessories!

thanks.

I've had my  machine over three years so probably should have done this already as  it gets alot of use. maybe 20-25 pantos  a month.

managed to easily get the old spring out and the new one in.  so hopefully it will make a difference when i put it back on the machine....

i wonder what else i should have replaced by now??'?

Archived