Batting with seed pods

I tried to find a thread on this but couldn't find one so I apologize in advance if it's already been addressed. A lady brought a quilt and batting last night and the batting had a lot of the cotton seed pieces I believe it's Warm and Natural from Joann's. I have used this before but only on my DSM before I got Millie. My question is wouldn't these cause a problem if they got down in the bobbin case or your needle hit one just right? I also have another question she brought sweatshirt material for the backing has anyone used this for backing? She had T-shirt quilt, batting and then this heavy fleece I told her I would have to check because it's too thick and the I told here there's no way to get through the corner seams they are like rocks! What do you think?

'

I think it's a great time to educate your customer.  :)

Most "natural 100% cotton" batting is unbleached and will have debris--sticks and flecks of brown yuck--that not only may show through on light fabrics in the piecing but also have been known to stain through. I've been lucky not to find or stitch over a seed, but it could happen. I have refused this product if there is show-through or if the batting is heavily-laden with the flecks. My big problem is Joanns has frequent sales where a special queen-size package of W&N will go on sale and many of my customers will stock up. It's so cheap they use the packaged batt for small stuff, not caring if there's a lot trimmed off.

Sweatshirt material (including fleece) requires special handling when used as a quilt backer. It's stretchy and not longarm-friendly so you need to decide if you want to try it or not. The bigger the piece the more trouble you'll have. You are the boss of your business and better to steer her in the right direction than have an end-result that you (and maybe she) won't be happy with. You can tell her you won't accept it and she'll be happier with "real material" as a backer. You can explain your reasons and the best reason is added weight. My favorite dramatic gesture is to pile the top, batting, and backer together, hand the bundle to the customer and ask them if they think this combo might be a little heavy to sleep under--not to mention stuffing 15 pounds of quilt into a washer for laundering!

Good luck! If you're uncomfortable with something a customer wants, a way to stretch yourself is to give it a try--but remember something stretched can snap!  :blink:  ;)

I have quilted lots of those types of battings and worse is a bamboo that had fibers all over my quilt room. In the years I have quilted I have never had issues with those browner bits getting in my bobbin area. I think lint and stray threads are the main issues there.

I just got one of the packets Linda described that had lots of those flecks of things. The quilting went okay and no problems, but who knows? Every once in a while I notice a package of W&N with more flecks than usual but this one was the worst.

I had three cotton seeds in one quilt stain badly brown on the quilt back and they were not even noticible on the wadding before quilting.....  certainly was noticible after ...  took a while to remove the stain on a cream backing...

Thank you all so much. That was my thoughts exactly but wasn't sure if I was right. There are so many flecks of seeds I would say there's not even 2" without any seeds. Thank you for bringing up the staining that hadn't even occurred to me. I will call her about the fleece and batting tonight. I quilt because I enjoy it and this one I had a feeling would be a nightmare. I would rather loose her as a customer than have to frog the whole thing. I might suggest she tie quilt it, she said that's what she did with her last one. Thanks again everyone and have a nice Holiday.

Archived