Order of quilting?

I have a big quilt with large blocks and two borders.  I am using SID to stabilize all the blocks, but need to also SID the borders.  Here are my questions:

1) Do you SID the entire length of the border, advancing the quilt as you go, or do you SID the sections you have at that time, starting and breaking the thread each time?  

2) Does this mean I need to "pin the snot" (thanks, Heidi!) out of my quilt as I do all this?

3) Did I somehow miss a book or DVD or *something* that takes you through these little baby steps?  

Thanks, y'all!  Hope your weekend was a good one.

I sid as I go.  For me, I have found that if I do all of the blocks on the inside first and then do the borders, I don't have as much trouble with fullness migrating to areas where I don't want it.  I smooth out as I go and stitch slowly to make sure I am not 'pushing' the fullness/fabric into another area.  Pinning can help with this.

Mandy:  It depends on how big the blocks are, and the border design.  If the blocks are more than12 x 12, I do more than sid to stabilize.  If the border is pieced so the sid is interupted, I'd sid as I went.  If on the other hand,  the border sid is a single long line I do the top and bottom as I go, but don't do the sides.  I try and use my channel lock to keep the stitch line straight.  I would turn the quilt to do the sid on the side border lines.  I don't like the looks of interupted stitching on a single long seam line.  I like to quilt as I go as much as I can, and stabilize as little as I can get by with.  Jim

I too sitd as I go trying to quilt as much as I can without having to go back.  I don't like having to go back with this big bulky rolled up quilt in front of me to fill in the quilting!  LOL*  Now, if I had massive amounts of sitd to do I might considering going through it all at once and going back, but I haven't had to do that yet.

I just posted a picture of Paula's applique quilt.  I made sure the quilt was straight.  Then I crosshatched the top border and down the sides that were showing.  I then did SID on the three blocks and outlined the applique. Then I did the feathers in the triangle. After the second row of blocks was SID, I did the background on the first row.  With the light green and dark green inner border, I waited until I was halfway done and then did the feathers in them. The last part I quilted was in the applique itself.  Of course I was lucky her quilt was perfectly square because I only did SID on the blocks.  I did SID between the light and dark green of the zig zag border using my channel locks, so I'm sure that helped keep everything straight.

When I did the Stack and Whack.  It was the same procedure.  I work from top down where possible because I don't like the bulk when rolling the quilt. That quilt was perfectly square, too.

Archived