International Shipping and Light Bulbs for my Ulti 1

I have two totally unrelated questions but both equally important to me!!  I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone here...

Anyone here ship from the US to the UK?  I have a customer who is interested in quilting but resides in the UK.  I know I had read on one of my forums about issues shipping internationally but I don't remember which - does anyone here have experience with this?  I'm not exactly sure how that works, but do they have to pay duties coming back to them then on the quilt?  Is it worth the hassle and additional cost?

Also - this might be a dumb question, but where do I buy light bulbs for my Ulti 1??  LOL*  Do I have to special order them or is this something I can get at a local hardware store?  I never even thought to ask when I bought the machine, but it donned on me earlier that if I get a bunch of quilts that need to be finished in a hurry and my light bulb goes I don't want to be waiting around for a week while I wait for one to come in the mail!

Thank you all for your endless supply of help!!!  I don't know what I'd do without you!!!

Hi Valerie,

The light bulb should be pretty readily available if you have a home improvement center near you. These are often used in under-cabinet lights. They are a standard 8-watt, 12-inch bulb. Depending on the selection, you can also find them in cool white and warm white. We do carry the regular and UV bulbs if you'd like to order them directly from us, too. :)

I've shipped things to other countries, although I haven't in the last year.  What I've done is filled out the customs forms for the country I was shipping to, and clarified to the customer that IF there were any customs fees, etc., it would be on their end when they received it back.  Now, this wasn't a quilt that had to be sent to me and then returned back to them.  So not sure what they would have to list it as so you wouldn't have to pay any fees when receiving it (because it wasn't an item you purchased nor a gift to you.)  Shipping back may be the easier part of your transaction.  Let me know if you find out something concrete.

Hmmm, Marci thank you for your input on this.  Now, I hadn't considered if I had to pay taxes or any other fees on the item coming here - that is something I need to look in to.

**Ok, just hung up with my local post office...the woman there said that I shouldn't have to pay any kind of taxes as long as she has clearly marked on the customs form that it doesn't have a monetary value, in other words it is not a gift to me and it is not a purchase.  She said possibly label it "sample" but she told me that the customer would have to contact her post office to find out how to appropriately label the package to avoid being held up in customs.

Eeep! 

I'm not sure I would have any comfort level sending a quilt I made marked as a "sample" item when sending internationally.  I would be darn afraid they would not consider it a high priority if it's considered a "sample" and maybe not prioritize it in any way.  Just the same as advertising, mass media, and other low value items.

I would make sure your customer is aware of the risk she may be taking, because in truth the quilt is not a gift, it is not a purchase either, but it sure is much more valuable than  a sample item.  Myself, I would rather encourage her to find someone within her own area to quilt it and not risk it.  What if you had to send it back, classified on customs as a "sample",  and it didn't make it to her?  I can see it being a very easy way to have your name ran through the mud if something happened to it. I guess I'm not sure it would be worth it to me, especially if I was offering any type of discount, to get new customers.  JMHO, Val.

I'm English and living in VT so I do send and receive packages to/from the UK.  Packages from family members usually come to me via my BILs business (He manufactures specialized parts for motorcycles including the Bat Man motorcycle used in the last 2 films!). He uses FedEx and labels items as samples.  I use UPS or USPS and declare the item as something other than a quilt - never state that it is a quilt - they go missing!  I would call it bedding and put a low value as the receiver will have to pay duty on it on delivery.

I seem to remember Kay - Borderquilter,  saying she was doing a quilt for a customer in the US.  Maybe she can advise us.

Archived