bobbin case?

I've just been surfing around on the forums and soaking up info, and in many situations that quilters have written in about, I've seen suggestions to try a new bobbin case.  I'm still new to this, and don't really have a customer base yet, but I'm just wondering if it is wise to have a new bobbin case on hand in case the need arises.  I'm imagining having people waiting for their quilts while I wait for a new bobbin case to arrive.  Are there any other parts that it would be wise to have extras of on hand in case of trouble?  Am I just being paranoid?

Lori

Empty Nest LAQ

I always have a spare bobbin case on hand.  My sewing room has ceramic tile floors and if bobbin cases bounce  on it they may well go out of round.  I also have different bobbin cases for the different threads I use in the bobbin.  I have kept my old bobbin cases with a note as to why I put it aside.  In six years of quilting I have 3 old bobbin cases and on two of them, have made the note thread is catching and breaking!   So I am changing bobbin cases about every 150 quilts.

My backup kit includes at least two pigtail guides, two bobbin cases, an extra needle bar screw, a couple of aluminum machine screws, a set of motor brushes, and an extra bobbin assembly. These extras will allow you to keep quilting when something goes awry on Friday night of a three-day weekend with a deadline quilt on the frame! :)

The most expensive item is the bobbin assembly but it's an important one.

We have several but I would suggest having a second that you could set up for magnetic bobbins and then you could always put the spring back in if you damaged your first one.  They last for years unless you insist on dropping them on the concrete floor.  Check with Amy she put together a package of the most common needed items when we were at the maintenance class a couple of years ago.  It included things like check spring, backlash springs, bobbin case, pigtail guides, needles and an assortment of screws.  One other thing you might get is a couple of more fuses, there easy to find at Radio Shack or the Source in Canada.  It's a real drag if you blow your spare at midnight.

Nigel

• 2 months later...

I am pretty new to this.  I just received my first order of magnetic bobbins. I took the spring out of my second bobbin case, but is there anything else I need to do to use these?  Do you set the tension the same was as Dawn teaches in class?  Any tips are appreciated :)

Lora, this is a great question, and you may get more responses by posting as a new topic. You can still do the spider crawl, but may need to adjust it out a little more than if using regular bobbins.

Lori:  You'd set up your bobbin tension the same way without the backlash spring as with it.  The magnets in the new bobbins simply replace the backlash spring.  If you previously set the tension at 150 on your TOWA gauge, you'd set it at 150 with the magnetic bobins.  Remember however, the new bobbin thread may require a different tension setting on your machine.  So you'll have to check the stitch before you start to quilt.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived