Liberty vs Millennium

When Michael from CL was here last week I made the comment that I wish I had bought the Millie instead of my Liberty. After Michael left DH asked me what it would cost to trade in my Liberty for a Millennium. It didn't take me long to make that phone call. Of course, the answer was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but that was the reason I bought the Liberty in the first place. What I didn't realize when I bought it was the difference the extra length in the arm would make or that you have a better view of your work because the Millie sets higher

I wish DH hadn't said anything about it, because now I've got the "Millie Bug". I keep trying to justify the expense in my mind. But I also keep reminding myself that I don't really have the volume to justify the purchase.

So, is there anyone on here that has upgraded from the Liberty to the Millie? Or even the other way around. Is it worth it? Or should I just stay with my Liberty?

Now I'm not saying anything bad about my Liberty. Its a great machine and I love using it.

Thanks,

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Phyllis,

I haven't done either, but in using the machines at APQS showroom last year in March, do you remember the difference?? If you have not made the trade by MQS, you are welcome to try my Millie and see what you think. I plan to have practice fabric on it so we can try out what we learn during the day...Good luck with whatever you do...I know I love my Millie and am glad my DH said "Go for all the bells and whistles, then we won't need to upgrade later." Sometimes he says all the right things ;)

I have a Liberty and am loving what I'm doing! I must say though, that if I had known then what I know now, I would have spent the extra on a Millie. I think I went for the Liberty to save a bit of money...but really, when you are spending that much I wish I had gone the extra $2000. Not that I find the Liberty lacking in performance, but realize now that I would have liked the extra quilting space with the Millie.

I'll probably never upgrade (I don't know what that would cost and I don't want the bother of switching) and I'm sure I'll be very happy. Hmmm, maybe I should never say never!!!

I would advise anyone just starting out that if you can get the bigger machine, go for it.

I started doing this longarm stuff before there was either a Millenium or Liberty. My first machine was an Ultimate II purchased in 1996. Three years later, I upgraded to an Ultimate I which didn't turn out to be much better than the II. Then the Millenium came out and boy was I tempted. I held off as long as I could (2001) and finally upgraded to the Millenium. Each upgrade was not as bad as buying a new machine since I could keep some of the setup. I think I still have the original carriage and side supports for the table. I have loved that Millenium well. I'm just about to send the head into APQS for a general tune-up and upgrade. Each time I upgraded, I resolved to keep my 1991 car a bit longer so I could afford the upgrade. I finally had to give up on that in 2003. Last year I upgraded my Viking sewing machine to a Designer SE. I'm still driving that 2003 car!

Hi Mary Beth, I can't wait to get up there to see you again. I didn't really stitch with the Millennium while we were there. I didn't want to stitch on someone else's piece. But just moving it around a bit I could see that it has a lot more quilting room and a lot better view of the stitching area. Its a great idea to have yours set up with practice fabric so we can practice what we learned. If I haven't already got a Millie, that will probably make the "Millie Bug" grow ten times bigger.

Sandra, you've stated my feelings perfectly. I was trying to be economical on a very expensive purchase and now I wish I had spent the extra $2000-$3000 and purchased the Millennium. Mary Beth's husband was right. Get the one with all the bells and whistles so you don't have to buy another one. I only have to buy the head and new legs for the table, plus they'll take my head in trade, so its just a bit more than the difference between the Liberty and the Millennium when I bought my Liberty.

I need to get my tax stuff together so we can do our taxes. Maybe we'll get a big tax refund and I can pay for it that way!

Phyllis

Oklahoma City

I went from the Millennium to a Liberty (my choice) because of the weight. I do miss the extra room and the visibility isn't as good but I wouldn't probably be still at it with the extra weight of the Millie. If they make a stretch Liberty with out adding much weight I might be tempted.

I've had my Liberty over two years, and have only had a space problem once on a panto that measured 13 inches...I thought I could fudge it. I got it done, then gave the panto to a friend with a bigger machine. I love the weight and manouverability of the Liberty. Makes freehand so easy. I'm 5'2" and I have to stretch just a little on the back side of the machie to clip threads....it would be impossible on a Millie for me to reach over. I love my Liberty, it's just right!!

Cheryl

Guest Linda S

Cynthia Willard has upgraded from a Liberty to a Millennium. You can find her here by looking for user Giftedhands. I bought my Liberty because of the weight. The only time I wished I had more room was when I was doing a quilt that needed 16" Circles. Michael from the Circle Lord helped me do it in two arcs though, so it wasn't a problem. I love the Liberty just the way she is and do not want any extra room. If you think about it, other than a pantograph, can you really quilt that far away from your body comfortably? I knew I couldn't -- I've been in a couple car accidents and my neck and back will not let me reach out that far while doing something detailed.

As far as bells and whistles, the Liberty has them all. We don't have the thread cutter -- I don't know about you, but I always pull my threads to the top, so I don't want a thread cutter. No on-board bobbin winder -- most folks I know who have Millenniums wind their bobbins on their stand alone anyway. No electronic channel locks - well, we have a manual horizonal lock and you can get an effective vertical lock by putting a $2 clamp on the rail. You're not missing anything with a Liberty other than a potential backache in my opinion.

Linda

APQS also offers the Freedom, it is the same head as the Millenium but does not come with the lower thread cutter or electronic channel locks. The thread cutter adds a bit more weight to the feel of the head. Perhaps this would be an option for you. Please contact me or any rep you desire for further information if you need it.

We own a Millennium, Liberty and a Freedom with the CQ. We sell mostly Millies but also a few Liberties. The upside to a Liberty is 37 lbs vs. 53 lbs. With a Liberty your work area is less and you will have to advance your quilt more often. If you are quilting as a business you will get more work done in the same length of time and this converts to more dollars per hour. With a Liberty you are limited to a smaller block. If you are planning on adding a CQ the Millie wins hands down.

Just some thoughts as most people only have one machine not three and if you don't have both it is more difficult to compare.

Janet is 5'2" and has no challenge with the Mllie.

John

John

Hi John,

I am interested in buying a APQS liberty or Millie hopefully soon and I am only 5 feet tall DH says i am 4 foot 11 3/4" would I have any trouble reaching either of these machines ??? :D

I haven't tried any of them yet and I was wondering does the liberty have the horizontal and vertical channel locks like the millie

Also is it better to go through a rep from Australia or buy directly from APQS

Thanks Joy

My Liberty is about 1 1/2 yrs old now and I love it, perfect size for the space I am in. But I do eventually want to buy the CQ and when that day comes I will deffinetly want the Millie.

My business has been doing really good and my DH is the one that keeps reminding me to save some of my profits to put towards the upgrade...just out of curiosity what is the minimum space needed for the foot print of a Millie (12ft table) and CQ attatched to it? Wondering if I will also have to put $ aside for a room renovation ;)

Joann

I am about 5"1" tall and have no problems "reaching" anything using my Millie. My table is not even set at the lowest setting and I find it quite comfortable. I don't have a problem with the weight of the machine, either. The overhead wiring may help with that, or maybe it's having everything balanced and level that keeps her gliding effortlessly. I do use the channel locks all the time and would miss them if I didn't have them. The onboard thread winder and the threadcutter are wasted by me--I don't use either. Phyllis, it's a tough decision you're trying to make, but trust your own judgement and you will know and do what's best for you.

Good luck!

Patty

I'm not really worried about the reach with the Millie. The way the handles set out would compensate for my short arms. I almost always walk around to the front to cut my threads when I'm doing a panto. I have to position the needle for the next roll and re-clamp anyway. The weight might be a problem since I also have neck and shoulder problems.

Yeah, I'm short on one end. I'm long waisted, but I have very short legs. I think my upper torso makes up three feet and my legs are the remaining two feet. I always say I'm 5 ', but the truth is I'm 4'11 1/2" tall. Sigh...I really want to add that extra half inch on. My two daughters and I are all about the same height and we always argue about who is taller, but we've never actually measured. That would take the fun out of it.

It just seems that I have such a small area to work in and I get really frustrated when I keep rolling the machine back and forth to finish a block. My clamps have to be re-set with each roll. I also have to move back and forth to the brake when I'm adjusting it. I wish I had a remote control for the brake. If I'm not moving too far I cheat and leave the brake on while I roll it.

The other major thing with the Millie is how much better you can see your work area. When I played with the Millie last March I was amazed at how much better I could see.

Sherry, I considered the Freedom, but I would lose my stitch regulator. I don't use it when I'm doing really tiny work, but like it for feathers and larger curved designs so that I know that my stitches are consistent. I'll have to think about that. I know that there are a lot of good LArs out there that don't have/use the SR. It would make a difference in price.

I need to get busy this morning. I need to do a charity quilt and finish one of my own. Also, need to get the taxes together. That will help me make a decision.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Joy, I don't change the height of Millie. I might if I had the hydraulic table lifts. I would lower it a bit if I was doing a custom quilt from the front, but I find myself in back most of the time. I do clip threads from the front, it just seems easier.

Here's a picture of me on the panto side. This is my reach if the panto is 14 inches.

I own a Millie with a compuquilter and a Liberty. Also, I am 5'2" and holding:P I find the Liberty much easier of a machine to move on the rails for intricate designs. Pantographs are really no problem if you get one that is too large for the machine. Just take it to an office supply store and have them shrink it down in size. They have the drum roll printers so it is one sheet. There are times I wish the front handles of the Liberty were at a different angle or the front rollers were place differently to get a better view. I thought if the top roller was moved over to where the backing roller is and the backing roller would be moved vertically down then the view would be better.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Phillis

APQS has a Stitch regulated Freedom available. Read my post again.

Originally posted by annlittle1

Sherry, I considered the Freedom, but I would lose my stitch regulator. I don't use it when I'm doing really tiny work, but like it for feathers and larger curved designs so that I know that my stitches are consistent. I'll have to think about that. I know that there are a lot of good LArs out there that don't have/use the SR. It would make a difference in price.

Hi

I was wondering how come you can get a better view of your work with the millie verses the liberty.

Also I was watching a APQS Video, getting started with your new machine , the lady was winding the first two rollers by hand on the free hand side. Don't they have a handles on the stand or the roller somewhere to turn to roll the layers up

Joy

Hi Joy

The space between the lower edge of the light and the quilt top is greater with a Milli and so you have greater visibility. I have sold a few Millenniums to ladies who are shorter than 5' and they all love their machines and have no problems moving them around. They particular like the adjustable handles.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Archived