3D quilt

Its hard to say without seeing the quilt.  Is it one of the "peeled back patchwork" type quilts?  I don't personally like the little pockets quilted down on those, but I have seen it done.  If you go to Pinterest and put in Mexican Star quilt a few will come up to look at.  You can quilt a small loop like a petal coming out from the corner of the pocket, and it doesn't lose the dimensional quality of the little flap, but it does hold it down a bit so you have a bit more control over keeping your quilting density consistent.  There used to be a few on the forum, but with the change-over, I can't access the pictures anymore.  Maybe MQ Resource has some to look at.

Someone posted something recently where they had quilted in the center of folded flying geese leaving the 2 'wings' open.  Was it Shannon - Doodlebug?

It was really pretty - just a little petal or curlicue from the center of the long side towards the point.  Very effective and made the open sides more obvious.

Sorry I can't remember where I saw it! Just remember making a mental note in case I ever get folded flying geese to quilt!

Archived