Dawn- weaving a quilt??

Matt said you demonstrated how to weave a quilt on the longarm. Is that something you could share directions for, or is it just something you teach at your classes?  I don't know if I'll ever make it to one of your classes. I keep trying, but they are so far away all the time.  Do one in Paducah next spring so I can attend.

Teresa,

I currently only have instructions in "class handout" form as I hope to create a book for the technique. But it isn't hard. In a nutshell, load on backing as normal. Then cut slits in a "top fabric" that stop just short of each selvedge edge. Load that sliced fabric on the frame as a quilt top. Then weave alternating strips in different widths through the slices just as you would for a paper placemat like we did as kids;). Stitch the raw edges down, and then quilt it as you go. done!

Well, there you go, Teresa, you won't even have to wait for Dawn's book because sewappy has a better technique than what you asked of Dawn -and Dawn so beyond graciously provided. The separate strips and weaving technique has been around for eons, but I, like you, would love to try Dawn's updated and interesting take on this form.

WOW Whitepine!!!

I am sooo very flattered that you think my humble offering of what I saw on Pintrest carries sooooooo much weight that it would influence others to not buy Dawn's book!!!

That was so NOT my intention!!

I fell into the illusion that this is a place to share and try other techniques....I guess not ...or does it all goes back to WHO  is doing the sharing?

Please know  that tho that "weaving" technique has been around for eons-I have not!  That was the first I had seen of it..tried it...loved it...& shared it!! 

Please by all means look into any updated  & interesting technique-My post was meant only to share not to discourage anyone!!

There are Newbies on this forum all the time....maybe they are unaware of the numerous ways to make a quilt...Is'nt  that one reason we come here??

I hope they are not met the same "Snarkiness" as I was!!!

I will continue to share things I have seen or done!! No matter how old or new they may be!!  :)

Well, there you go, Teresa, you won't even have to wait for Dawn's book because sewappy has a better technique than what you asked of Dawn -and Dawn so beyond graciously provided. The separate strips and weaving technique has been around for eons, but I, like you, would love to try Dawn's updated and interesting take on this form.

Darlene~

Good morning~

I am wondering what you thought may have been missunderstood?  I do NOT mean that in a nasty way & I know it can be pretty easy to misinterpret the meaning of someones post as we do not see the smile they may have or the twinkle in the eye as they are making a joke~

I tried reading her post with a smile and even a laugh and it all came across as sarcastic ~  The comment was unnessary and I feel a bit mean spirited! 

But OH BOY did she make her point!! I think I made mine as well!~

YES i took offense to it!!

I  do however appreciate your effort to "smooth some feathers" tho!

Thank you

Well, like many on this Forum, I look forward to Dawn publishing her book and would like to be on the list for a signed copy!  I also look forward to meeting Dawn in person when I go back to the factory.  Whenever Dawn 'replies' to someone's problem with their machine, I print it off, or note the attached video, for my "Dawn Folder."  I hope she publishes a book with all of her APQS advise!  It would be a best seller!

Recently Dawn commented in the July/August Love of Quilting magazine to the effect that many of our quilts will be used here on earth, not winning shows or going to quilt heaven with us, so stressing over how we will quilt them may be overkill when "Done is good!" and we could be making our next quilt. 

I encouraged my granddaughter with a poor paraphrase of Dawn's comment as she was finishing her formal last week and we were planning her next projects.  It's fun to demonstrate our improved skills and it's fun to be a Grand Champion and get all the prizes that come with winning, but others could benefit from the experience too, and sometimes "Good enough!"and "Done!" are okay and we can move on to the next project we want to make.  

Thanks for your generosity Dawn! 

:0)

Glad to help wherever I can, for any of you. And absolutely weaving has been around since the first human thought it would be a good idea to dispose of the fig leaves. :) Just like the 100's of books on applique, piecing, etc., it's only a concept for a different approach to a technique that's been around for centuries. Just hope to inspire others with another creative way to make a quilt. Now all I need is another 5 hours in a day..... :) :) :)

Archived