Grey grease behind the bobbin???

Hi Everyone.  I'm trying not to freak out because I know someone will tell me this is not a dire as I think (I hope I hope).  I have been quilting along and noticed that the bobbin sounded a little more rattly than normal, so I figured on the next bobbin change, maybe I should add some oil.  Well, I took out the bobbin case and saw this:

post-6040-0-47382500-1373224360_thumb.jpg

Is this horribly bad or can I just wipe it off and go on my merry way?  is there something I did to cause this and/or something I can do to prevent it?  Thanks so much!!  Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Relax. :) You're seeing gearbox grease oozing out around the gearbox bushing. Just so you know, the gearbox doesn't technically need ANY grease in it to function. The grease is actually in there to help reduce gearbox noise and keep your machine quieter. So don't be alarmed at some of that oozing out. 

Just wipe it off and keep quilting. But when you have a chance, give our Parts team a call and ask for a Gearbox Cap. It's a small plastic cover that mounts over that bushing and is held in place with a gel-type super glue. We can send you directions on installing that along with the cap. Until then, no worries. :) For years the machines didn't have that bushing covered (including mine) so don't worry about damaging anything. If at some point the machine gets really noisy, the gearbox grease can be re-packed (lots of customers do that--it's not hard, but does require the machine to come off the table.) If you want to order replacement grease when you get the cap, just let the Parts Team know and they can advise you. :)

Thanks Dawn!!  I knew someone would tell me that it will all be ok LOL.  I will give them a call tomorrow and get what you suggest.  Thank you for your lightning fast response (..haha... dare I say fast as greased lightning.... yah, couldn't resist that one haha).  I learn so much from this forum (most of all the not freaking out part hahah).  Have a great day, Melissa

Dawn... a little bit after I had my machine serviced and Dave filled the gear box I found the cap on the floor.  Finally figured out it came from there so I cleaned stuff up and put it back on.  It come off again so I wiped the grease off and put it back on again.  I guess now I know I need to get some gel-type super glue.  Can it be any gel-type super glue?  Thanks.

Oma 

Yes any type super glue gel from your local hardware store will do.  I think they recommend gel because it is easier to work with (you stand half a chance of keeping it off your fingers).  Clean the grease off the outside of the bushing the best you can and add about 3 drops of super glue to the outside edge of the bushing and put the cap on.  You're done.

Nigel

Oma,

Clean the area around the brass bushing really well as NIgel suggests with some mineral spirits to help remove remaining grease residue. We recommend Super Glue Gel because we DON'T want to get any super glue on the inside of that bushing (between the center rod that spins as your machine runs and the brass bushing itself.) Run a thin bead of gel around the plastic cap's flat edge. Then press it firmly in place, holding it until it sets. :)

There seem to be no limits with APQS service!  Request made at 1:14pm on a Sunday and a detailed response 9 minutes later.  Dawn, you're one of the many reasons we love APQS.

Heidi 

You're right.  This forum is why we bought APQS the first time and 99% of what I know now I learned here.

Nigel

Archived