If you've bought a used machine....

Hi Kenna,

When you say model 26, are you talking about the Millennium? I purchased a 2000 Millennium in 2004. It was like new - used only as personal. I love this machine! The machine was only about 60 miles from me so I did not have to worry about shipping - I understand that can be pretty expensive. The legs are different now, and I do wish I had the hydrolic lift, but someday.... If you would like to know more, things to look for, etc., send me a u2u. A good friend of mine has a new Millenium so I am pretty familiar with the differences.

Kenna,

I bought my machine used and it had to be shipped across the country through a freight service. The lady chose USF Dugan because they gave her the best price. Two long weeks later I got a call from Memphis saying I had to drive down there and pick up the table, because this company didn't offer home delivery. So we rented a large cargo van and drove to Memphis. My husband and I both had to take a day off work. We found the place and got down there and they couldn't find the package. They finally found the three large packages in the damaged freight room.

The wooden table was so badly destroyed that my husband had to get measurements and build me a new table. The cast iron legs and rollers were okay, but one of the canvas leaders was partway ripped of the roller.

Some of the bolts and such were missing, but we managed to put it all together.

Luckily my machine head was shipped through Priority Mail and arrived with no damage.

I have pictures here somewhere of the damaged table, if you'd like to see them. You probably won't have this problem since you're not getting a wooden table.

The whole reason why this happened is the lady didn't have the original packing and tried to wrap everything in cardboard and bubble wrap. Mix a forklift with cardboard and bubble wrap and you get a big mess.

Hope this helps.

I bought a used 2004 Millenium. I saved $5K buying it used and it works great. I live in MD and I flew to Ohio to look at it, and then two weeks later my husband and I borrowed our neighbors' van, drove 300 miles, took it apart, loaded it and drove 300 miles back all in one day. It was a 14' table and a 12' van, but my husband figured out that he could take out the rear window, so the rollers stuck out the back window space with a red flag attached. He taped a clear plastic garbage bag around the window edge so we could still see out the back and didn't have lots of wind noise.

I recommend you try every feature before you buy to make sure everything works. Carol Thelan has a good book on purchasing a long-arm and the book has a sample block to stitch to try out how it works.

I know my 2004 model came with old wheels (they're reddish) but APQS replaced them for the previous owner with the newer wheels (they're black). The previous owner gave me the old wheels, so I have them as spares. They're very easy to replace if the machine you're looking at the old wheels.

The biggest feature the newer models have is a stitch regulator. This is really worth the money. Think hard if the model you're looking at doesn't have it. Plenty of people have mastered LA'ing with a regulator, but it will take longer (PPP) to get your stitch length even without it.

Good luck!

I'm having to do this sight unseen, it's come up quickly and it's about 3000 miles away and I have 2 days to figure it out. I've seen pictures. I'm going to take the chance that the machine is fine, if they are as easy to work on as I've heard anything should be fixable. There have only been about 150 quilts made on it, it went to the factory for a tuneup 3 years ago and have done 50-60 quilts since then, sounds like it's been a hobby. It does have the stitch regulator, light bar, ets, tehn only thing it doesn't have as far as I can tell is the hydraulic lift. Not sure about the wheels but I'll email her about that.

I bought mine used from APQS and would not hesitate to do so again!

Just check the shipping company you use and your street. I was very very lucky the truck made it to my house I guess the wires hang low over the streets and certain trucks are not allowed on my road due to height restrictions , He had to drive around the block to get to the house with out pulling down the electric wires. I don't live way out in the country and never would have thought the wires could be a problem.

APQS also treated me as if i bought the Millie and not an old used machine! I got first class treatment all the way!

Good luck

I bought a "used" machine in 2005. It was a 2001 Mille; however, the lady selling the machine had never ever used it. It had set since her purchase in 2001. The reason it hadn't been used was that she & her cousin had planned to start a quilting business. The cousin got sick & died. The lady could never get motivated after that to even try practicing on the machine.

This "used" machine (& this is how the freight companies look at it because it's not being shipped from the factory) was tested by an APQS tech. Fortunately, it was in a suburb of Des Moines, so the tech graciously checked it out for me before I made the lady an offer. I would not have considered the transaction without someone knowledgeable checking out the machine. After the APQS tech checked the Mille out & verified that it was in like-new condition, I made an offer on it.

Then came the problem of shipping. I called several shipping companies & finally went with ABF freight company. When you start giving the freight companies the dimensions of the rails, some of them will just outright tell you that they don't offering shipping for the 12' long rails. The major issue to be aware of is the insurance coverage that the freight companies provide on the "used" machines. It's a pitance--nothing near what you'll be paying for one--Just because it's considered "used" & not new! If I remember correctly, none of the freight companies would insure it for more than a couple thousand dollars--no kidding! Go to your independent insurance company & purchase coverage for the machine while it's in transit (it's called transit insurance, or something like that). The policy only cost me about $50, but the machine was covered for the purchase price (my purchase price, not the price of a new machine) for the 3 days it took for it to get from Iowa to AZ. Taking a chance with a company who will not insure the machine for what you're paying for it is too risky. You just never know what could happen.) Be sure you get the extra coverage.

Another tidbit to help you get a better rate for shipping...if you can accept delivery at a business, rather than a personal residence, the shipping fee is less. Don't know why, but that will be one of the questions you'll be asked when going through the bid process in trying to find a carrier. Because we've rented a space at a local self-storage unit, we took delivery in its yard. The truck driver called us as he was rolling into town, we then met him at the self-storage unit. We unloaded the boxes off the truck with the truck driver. Some of them went into my SUV, while the others we put into the storage unit & picked up on a second trip.

Hope this helps. Send me an email if you want to talk about it. Been there, done that!

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

pfrost@npgcable.com

Kenna,

I bought my machine used from a lady in Oklahoma. She hired a crate company to pack it up and a freight company to ship it. The crate and freight cost was estimated at $600 but it ended up being only about $400. The machine arrived completely intact.

Beware of freight companies, though. We did not find out that they only deliver to businesss until it was here in San Diego. I believe that is because the freight company believes that their job is done when they pull the truck into the parking lot and open the doors. This freight company wanted me to have a forklift (and driver) to unload the machine. They do not unload.

We picked the machine up at the freight company, broke open the crates, paid for the crate disposal and loaded it into my Silverado truck (fullsize bed)for the 30 mile careful drive to my house.

My advice would be don't scrimp on the freight and make sure you know the terms of the delivery.

I bought a lightly used Liberty from (name removed) late last year. It was shipped ABF and I don't have anything but good to say about that company and their service. The delivery guy not only brought it to my home, he even carried the boxes into my foyer! And you can keep track of the shipment via internet and schedule your delivery time. Linda had packed everything securely in original boxes, and it arrived without a scratch or a dent. Hi Linda -- my circles are improving!:) :) :)

Mary Burns

Liberty

Buda, TX

Thanks to everyone for your advise and tips! I won't be able to get this machine after all, but at least we have the info for later, just in case anyone needs it!. The friend that was going to help me get it had a family emergency last night and I told him to hang onto his money in case his grandaughter needs something. She was driving on a wet highway and wrapped her truck around a tree. The truck was so badly damaged that he passed by the accident about the same time the emergency vehicles got there and neither he nor his son (the girls uncle) recognized the truck. Would appreciate your prayers for Sabrina, she's 10 years old. She tore the tendons loose in both hands and they did surgery on that yesterday, they also put a rod in one arm that was broken. Her pelvis is broken and so is one leg they think. The sheriff said he honestly did not expect to find anyone alive when he pulled up to the site.

Archived