Not sure I'm doing this right

This is the first time I've ever tried to fill in the empty space around the feathers. I watched about a hundred you tube videos on how to do it and decided the echo thing looked the fastest and easiest, but now that I'm trying it I'm not sure it is turning out to look how it is supposed to.  SO, all you feather experts out there (you know who you are)- does this look okay or am I doing something wrong? 

SOrry about the shine, but it's monofilament on dark blue fabric. 

OK,,,this is my opinion..

In the first pict, my eyes were drawn immediately to the echo between the feathers.

I  t was overpowering the feather, taking away from the beauty of the feathers.

I think just one outline would have been better and just jump over the space between the two feathers. 

I think it would emphasize the feather rather than seemingly trying to hide.

Rita

Teresa, I just did this on a quilt, I will post more pictures n a different post, but here is the border. The lines, I think, need to be close together to really push that background down.

It would have been much more successful if I had used a different thread for the background echoing, for texture only. I definitely learn something new from every quilt!

post-3245-0-20007300-1373639049_thumb.jpg

Along with Rita, what if the echoing was in blue so as not to overpower the feathers?  It actually looks great, just think the bold contrast of the thread blends them together.  If you don't want to unpick, what about echoing really close the first pass around; it really looks good as it is though.

I can't use blue because the feathers travel up into the white border also.  I can't use white because  it is too strong on the blue and you can see every little boo boo, plus it just looks bad.  I ripped out the echo. I am just doing the feathers right now and I'll wait for more thoughts about what to do.  I thought about stippling, but not sure how that would look either.

I think you're on the right track and just need to find a look you like. 

There is no rule about echos except that they need to draw the eye to the feathers and not compete with them.

If you feel that your echo line is too wide, scribble in the space between to push down the adjacent area. I bet you'll love that look and you can correct wobbles or too-narrow spacing while you fill in the area. Tiny circles work as well. I'd use matching thread for this technique since a build-up of invisible thread will be very noticeable. Your molar feathers are great!

Another way to fill the space around those graceful feathers is narrow piano keys. Stitch the echo then space the piano keys a half-inch or less apart and go from edge to echo, sneak up the echo and stitch back to the edge (or seam). The straight lines will make your feathers look wonderful! 

Whether you fill or not, I think a single echo around the feather looks good - emphasizes the shape, gives a little closure, is a nice transition to whatever else you do.  I don't do feathers on my LA yet, but almost always add an echo about 1/4" around my feathers.

I love Linda's idea of piano keys for the rest of the fill.  Think I'll try that next time.

Archived