needle bar set screw will not hold the needle in

Marie Sutton

Hi,

I have tried to replace the needle and now the needle bar set screw will not take hold to the needle bar not hold the needle in.    I have tried 3 different needle bar set screws all doing the same thing.  Have a burred the needle bar?  If so how do I replace it?  Hoping some one can help.

Cheers Marie 

There is another hole on the opposite side of the bar. Try that one. Usually when the screw won't hold the needle it's because there is a slot or groove worn in the end of the screw. But if you have tried several different screws I don't know what the issue would be. Good luck in your search for a solution. 

Hi Linda,

Yes I have tried the other side and it does not wish to hold the screw or needle. (I can get the screw to screw in and hold without the needle)  I have taken a screw from another APQS machine and I have found the screw will not hold either.  I have put the screw back into the 'other' APQS machine and its holding the needle ok.  I am concern that somehow I have burred the needle bar.  thanks for you help.

Cheers Marie

Marie, it sure sounds like you're not getting your needle all the way up in the needle bar.  Compare what you see to the "other" APQS machine - is there more needle out of the bar on the one you're having trouble with?  And can you see the shaft of the needle when you insert it into the needle bar?  You should be able to.  There may be something blocking the inside of the needle bar - maybe try poking in there with something narrower than a needle?  Maybe better to call APQS in the morning.....

Good luck - we're rooting for you, Marie!!

Marie

If you have stripped both holes I think you will have to either get another needlebar (about $35 I think) or take your current one to a machinist and get it repaired.  Probably cheaper to get one from APQS and they are pretty easy to change.  Remove the hook  and the side cover so you can see what you are doing.  Loosen the needlebar clamp and the needlebar comes out the bottom.  Reassemble and time the machine.  If this is an older machine try moving the needlebar front to back and side to side.  If there is any play now would be the time to change the bushings as well.  Ask Amy she has real nice instructions for that if needed.  

Nigel

marie,  i am assuming this is your brand new machine.  don't think you could have burred both sides of the needle bar.  double check they are the right needles though i am sure you have already.  can you wrap a small piece of plumbing tape on the thread of the needel ebfore inserting it into the machine.  i do have some more screws but am visiting my daughter until the weekend.

Hi Lyn,

I tried the plumbing tape oh how I was hoping it would help, but no luck. I really seemed to have handled the screw heavy handed. I remember seeing some tiny bits of metal fragments before blowing with air thinking maybe there was a little bit of fluff or something. I found using the screw out of my Freedom 2006 made no difference but the screw was find when I put it back into the 2006 Freedom, so I seem to have done something to the needle bar.

Cheers Marie

Marie

Maybe it is like Barb said and the needle is not inserting fully.  Jim Erickson had an issue with a new needlebar that had a burr on the inside from where they tapped the hole.  I think he cleaned it out by inserting a drill bit from the bottom and turning it with his fingers to snag the burr.  I am sure you have already been on the phone with the factory by now.

Nigel

Marie, try using the needle AND the screw from the other APQS machine.  First, take a marker and mark the point where the needle disappears into the needle bar on the working machine.  Then try inserting it into the problem machine - that should tell you whether it's going all the way in.  If it goes all the way in, it at least removes one possibility.....

Hi

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have taken the needle and screw from my other machine and I find the needle is inserting in the same depth. When I have a needle in The needle bar I am finding that the screw will not take to any thread, it does not hold itself in the needle bar. I find it hard to believe that I have burred the thread on both sides but it seems that I have. I have emailed Amy. Guess I will be learning to retime my machine as well. :)

Cheers Marie.

Archived