I pad, android, that kind of stuff.

These little devices,,  are they all connected to the internet, and cost extra, or do they hook thru the phone and cost extra, I

just don't understand how they are so versitile and how they are hooked up. 

Also,  can they be connected to a PC or Laptop to download something like Photo's, or??  Do they take that kind of photo, of

family, or flowers, birds,  etc?? 

What am I needing to get one and have it hooked up or is it ready to go from the store??

I'm just totally lost.

email me if you like,  I just am totally lost as to what I can get and how it works.

Thanks in advance!

Rita.

Rita

I guess it would depend on what you want to use it for? there are so many options out there to choose from that it can be confusing for sure. I have a kindle Fire HD it is about 9 inches tall I think. Anyway, I use it for a variety of things. I purchased it primarily to download and read books, but it does so much more. It does connect to the internet by way of wifi. That is thru the your internet server. but it connects remotely which means you need a wifi router with your internet if you don't already have one. It costs no additional fees to use it than what your internet service already cost. The kindle does have a camera on it to take pictures and it takes good pictures but I think it is hard to use because it is front facing, so hard to get the right angle to take a picture. You can download all kinds of games and apps onto it to play, read your email, Skype (which is to talk with video to someone) you can play movies, music, just a lot of different things. If you are not at home where wifi is available you can read your books which have already been downloaded but cannot connect to the internet unless there is wifi available, such as at hotels or cafe's etc. which provide free wifi.

I am not sure if this answers your questions or not but if not someone else may chime in with whatever they have and use theirs for. have a great weekend, I am off to a womens retreat this weekend! woo hoo Jeanne

I have IPad (the first model out) and use it for our business.  The IPad will do all the things listed above but will also be able to connect to your laptop to transfer photos and documents back and forth between them.   The IPad is a bit bigger than the Kindle but that can be a good thing depending on what you require with vision.  I like mine.

I have an iPad.

I love it.

My friend has the Samsung version and also loves it.

It's much less expensive.

iPad has got to be connected to a laptop or desktop computer for updates.

Not a big deal for me, but if it will be your only device, it won't work.

I suggest you go to Best Buy or another big box electronics store and try them all out.

But if you buy Apple, I'd get it at an Apple Store if possible.

They have the Genius Bar to help you sort out any issues.

My favorite thing is the iPad Mini.  I've never really liked my regular iPad.  It was my husband's and when he upgraded I took it.  It was ok, but my iPad Mini is WONDERFUL for what I want it for.  I wanted to be able to check my mail, go online, take and keep pictures, go to Face Book, access this forum, etc while away from home without having to drag my laptop around.  My Smart Phone does a lot of this, but it's small and hard to read for these getting older eyes.  I'll post a pic of my iPad mini in my purse.  It's so light and convenient.  This one is added to my Verizon cell phone account and it costs me $10 a month and I can go online anywhere I can get phone service.  When I'm at home I connect it to the wifi automatically, but I don't use wifi anywhere else although I could if I wanted to.  I take it out and use it when we are waiting in doctor's offices, actually, anywhere and everywhere because it's always with me.  Definitely something to think about.  

post-4696-0-58716900-1378482214_thumb.jpg

post-4696-0-56121500-1378482492_thumb.jpg

Depending on which you purchase, your I-pad can connect only to regular wireless internet or can also connect to the 3G, 4G, etc. telephone internet.  I am guessing the same option is available for some or all of the other tablets.

My son is using his I-pad instead of a laptop.  He uses a wireless keyboard when he wants to do more typing than makes sense with the screen and stylus or finger.  He can print to a compatible wireless printer.

Both of us only use available wireless internet since the telephone data plans are more expensive than we want to pay.

BTW, although I bought my I-pad both to be able to do my quilt designs on a photo of my quilt, I am also using it with an apple TV to stream internet programming.  I ended my cable TVsubscription and will pay off the I-pad and apple TV with the savings within about 6 months.

(EDit was because I somehow hit the post button before I was done with the post.)

Here is my viewpoint. I didn't use to be technology challenged, but I am now. I had a Kindle Fire, I used it a lot, but I was tired of packing my laptop, kindle fire as well as my smart phone. I was using my phone to take credit cards, etc it worked fine. I had ordered an android tablet, but just couldn't get used to it, I sent it back. I watched my grandkis with their iPads, they are 5 and 8. I checked what programs I use, etc and was looking at a change. My kindle fire was acting up and about to die, so I bought an iPad mini. Love the size and what it does. I use Internet thru my smartphone when at a show, or out of the house if needed. I still use my laptop, just now as my business desktop computer. My old business computer was the vista system and no longer supported.

What you would need for a laptop, iPad mini, or tablet.

Internet connection to your house

Modem with wireless router

To use Internet from your smartphone, there is an app for Droids that use the Wifi a part of my data plan. Looked a upgrading to an iPhone, so everything would sync, but there is not an app for wifi, it is a phone setting and for my carrier is an additional $20 a month.

To print with tablet, most have a USB port you could hook it up that way or for the iPad, laptop or tablet you could use a wireless printer.

I don't remember having to hook my iPad up to my laptop for anything, but I would ask.

I use my iPad a lot for Facebook, emails, Internet, etc. the tablet would be the same. I like my mini for the size it fits in my purse. I also use it to accept credit cards at shows and from home.

Now having said that, I just got the Microsoft tablet with my Quiltpath. I like that it is windows based as I am comfortable with windows, I wouldn't want to pack it in my purse, it is a little big and heavy. Although it will only be used for my Quiltpath anyway.

I would take a notebook and go to several stores with knowledgeable help, tell them that you are not familiar with any of them and have them explain different things, including the apple store if you have one. Play with them and write down the things you like. Then after you think about it write down questions and go back to where you thought they were most helpful and ask your questions again. You will find what you like doing this,if you husband or kid likes a particular thing it doesn't mean you will like it.

My granddaughter helped me on my iPad min with a few questions I had, her mommy didn't have the patience.

On my note with using my phone for wifi, I do that because I have it password protected and I don't like to use free wifi even if it is available.

Hope this helps.

Shirley

Thanks Folks,  I understand more than I did,  But  :P   rofl, have dozens more questions which I will save for a tech at a good store for asking about tablets,. androids, I pads, I phones, I lost!  :(    :D

The info did help a lot.. cleared up some points, and gave me more specific info to ask about.

Will delve into the depths when I have energy and brain power.

Thanks again,

Rita

The more I am thinking this over, the more I know I need time, a lot of time, to think it over and find out just where it would be handy for me to use, and if it would be worth the money and hastle of getting everything up and running properly. 

I think That will give me a good start.. 

Thank you all, so very much.    I appreciate your help.. and it was All a Big Help.

Rita

Archived