Referral from LQS - Need help

Finally got a referral from the LQS and of course it is not a simple quilting job.  

I told the customer I would ask for advice and get back to them about what I learned and a final estimate.

The project is to finish a quilt started by an aunt about 15-20 years ago.  The center part of the quilt is gold SATIN 2" (about) squares hand pieced. About 67x67.  Alignment not perfect so am not sure if I could follow seams for a design.  Some beautiful Kaufman cotton print was included to be used as a border.

My questions:  I have never quilted on satin.  Is it ok to machine quilt on the hand pieced satin section?  Smaller needle?  The family just wants this finished as a keepsake from the aunt and get the unfinished project out of the closet.

If it is ok to quilt on the satin is a simple loose e2e ok to use? Quilting will not show up on the border fabric.  

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

post-4606-0-32675000-1379519672_thumb.jpg

post-4606-0-63575700-1379519697_thumb.jpg

post-4606-0-17382400-1379519715_thumb.jpg

This will be beautiful! 

Your thought about a smaller needle is a good idea. If you can, test on an edge of the satin by stitching a few inches without the needle threaded. Then swipe a wet cloth or Q-tip along the holes to see if they close. If they do, you can be fearless, not worrying about any frogging that might be necessary. A curvy overall will work well. Scale the density to what looks best with the border fabric. It's gorgeous!

Another possibility is something geometric on the satin. It will be a nice counter-point to the richness of the border. 

Kay (borderline quilter) has done gorgeous quilting on satin. Check out her blog for some inspiration.

http://borderlinequilter.blogspot.com/

I just did a quilt with all sorts of fabric in it, including satin, metallic and tablecloths....

it worked fine, I used filtec Glide, both up and down and a 4,0 needle, because she had used

some sort of decorators fabric as backing :rolleyes:

regards Lisa

p.s. the quilt is much larger than it looks on the pictures, 72" x 72"

post-6297-0-18829500-1379525233_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-12695000-1379525235_thumb.jpg

Archived