skipping stitches and moves rigid

I am getting frustrated with my "new to me" Millie. I have a practice piece on the frame which happens to be flannel. I have had her set up for a week and she keeps skipping stitches. I ordered new needles but they aren't here yet. We have also adjusted the wheels but she seems rigid moving left and right. I am using cotton thread I had on hand and used with my HQ16. Not sure if this is contributing to skipped stitches. Getting very frustrated!

Tyra, it may be that your encoder wheel on the back of your carriage is set too tight to your table wheel - that would make it feel stiff moving left and right.  It could also cause the skipped stitches you mentioned.  Have you tried calling APQS Service?  They will help you narrow down the cause of your problems, even if your "new to you" Millie isn't under warranty.  In a pinch, you can call me - I'll be around during the day tomorrow (Tuesday).  My studio line is (509) 447-3803.

Wheel-Table Adjust Info.pdfTyra,

We need to figure out if your skipped stitches are the result of a mechanical issue or an electrical one. Where the machine skipped stitches, pull the thread away to see if you have needle holes underneath. If you see needle holes where the machine attempted to make a stitch but missed, then the issue is mechanical. Check out the Timing Video to review how to double check your machine's timing. Here's a link:

http://www.apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=xWeqiuvwk5E

If you don't see any needle holes under the skipped stitches, then the issue is most likely electrical. Barb and others have mentioned checking your encoder wheels. These rubber wheels travel inside the larger rear axle wheels on both your sewing head and carriage, and transmit the signal to the machine to regulate your stitches. If the wheels don't make good contact, the result is skipped stitches. Here's a video to help with that:

http://www.apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=LlpYU52NGMA

Finally, adjusting your machine's larger wheels won't help with skipped stitches. Here's a document that shares several tips for improving your movement:

Wheel-Table Adjust Info.pdf

Let us know how else we can help!

Have you checked that the bobbin is loaded correctly, thread coming off the top, bobbin turning clockwise?  Do you have the manual with your machine? If so, look up the timing section.  There should be a clear photo of where the needle hole should be during the most downward position of the needle bar.  Look underneath, turning the wheel by hand.  You should be able to see if the thread from the needle is being wrapped around the hook.  .  You've made sure you have the right size needle also? Don't give up.

Hubby helped me adjust the height of th hopping foot. It was really high. Am going to put a new practice piece on. So far it is sewing MUCH better!! Hopefully we have solved everything. I want to do the retiming as a last resort. Will keep you posted. Thank you for all if the advice. Hopefully my frustration has ended!

Archived