ruler question

Get one that fits your hand, such as the Itty Bitty, Or similar. I have several, some with a curve at the end. You want one just a little bigger than the measurement from end of pinky to end of thumb with your hand spread out. I have a million rulers and only 3 I use regularly. You can spend a small fortune on them. Ask me how I know.

Shirley

Start with a small rectangular ruler--nothing bigger than your hand. Find one with quarter-inch lines etched on and use it for SID. There are lots of techniques used, but my rule of thumb is to always keep the ruler held fast, stitch, stop, and move the ruler. When you become proficient and those steps become second nature, you can move the ruler "creepily" as you stitch--that is, slow down but don't stop, move the ruler an inch or two, and continue. You'll find the best hand positions for vertical and horizontal stitching--and which side of the hopping foot the template needs to be on for ease of stitching those horizontal lines. A ruler with "ears" like DeLoa's castle are great for SID. The ears line up with the seam, which places your needle in the seam for SID.

Archived