Fusible for applique

I need some help finding a product. The first time I did fusible applique, I bought a roll of iron on fusible. It was paper on one side and plastic (like saran wrap) on the other. You could trace your shapes on to the paper and then iron the paper to the fabric and cut them out. When you remove the paper, the fabric has a rubbery texture that is fusible and you just iron that on to your quilt block. I thought it was made by Sulky. Anyhow, I had bought a pretty big roll of it and now it's gone. I can't find this anywhere. Does anyone know who makes this? I was pretty sure I got it at JoAnn, but they all seem to think I'm crazy. All the other fusible I am finding is more of a stabilizer. I really liked this other stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

several company's make fusible webbing.  There is wonder under in both light and regular, heat and bond is another(also light and regular), Alene's used to be sold at JoAnns too (they do not carry that anymore).  Steam a seam usually was only sold in packages not on the rolls (at least at our store) there was several different kinds of that.  Sulky make a lot of stabilizers but I don't remember a fusible applique.  Any of these sound like what you need?  Hope this helped

I don't know if you would like it or not but what is do is different. I use an iron on stabilizer that is only sticky on one side. Then I use a glue stick and just touch it in a few little places and place it where I want. Then I blanket stitch around it. I find that the final result is less stiff and it works well to seal the edges of the applique. Just a thought.

I've been doing a lot of applique lately, and have been experimenting with different methods. I use wonder-under for fusible, but I'm not crazy about any fusible because it makes the applique stiff. What I like best is to run a small bead of fray check around the back side of the applique, let it dry, then stitch down with a blanket stitch. The shape doesn't fray, and it doesn't have the stiffness of a fusible. So far, this is my preferred method.

I do lots of fusible applique (finished with a blanket stitch) for traditional, bed & baby quilts.   I use the same product that Carmen does and recommend it to my students.  It is easier to handle than the Wonder Under I used for years and I think the bond is better.  It is not stiff but, on medium to larger pieces of applique, I do hollow out the middle of the paper shape before adhering it to the applique fabric...it's a technique used by Sue Nickels.  I think she refers to it as making a 'donut' of the paper shape.  Anything that involves donuts, I'm in!

On appliqué art quilts with much larger shapes (like my skeleton quilts), I use a technique from Jane Sassaman...each applique piece AND the background pieces are backed with a fusible interfacing by Pellon called ShirTailor.  It is not meant to stick two pieces of fabric together.  This product fuses to the fabric on the wrong side and gives the shapes much more body.  The edges resist fraying.  They can be rearranged a million times until you find the perfect composition.  When I'm ready to sew, I glue baste the pieces (Elmer's school glue & an iron) and finish the edges with a satin stitch.  During the quilting process, the ShirTailor becomes much more pliable.  This is a great technique for applique wall quilts with large pieces but not appropriate for bed quilts.

There are at least half a million ways to appliqué...if you learn several, you'll always have the right technique for the job at hand.  Experimenting is a great way to learn what works for you!    Nancy in Tucson

• 2 weeks later...

Archived