Do I neen new leaders???

Now granted, I've only had this machine since January and I've only quilted 3 quilts on it. Do leaders need to be changed out over time? I've read that sometimes the centers need to be remarked. Unless they were being washed, and why would you.....I wouldn't think they would shrink. I don't know if these are the original ones or replacements. Not even sure how they're attached; almost looks like a strip of double sided tape. Inputs anyone?

10727556295_1f5d18b6cb.jpg
Untitled by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

10727865053_d645a77a11.jpg
Untitled by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

They can grow to be wonky over time as they stretch out from loading quilts in the centers and the far out sides are not used so much.  DON'T wash them as they will shrink!  What others and I have done is zip the backing leader to the take up leader or pin or however you load quilts and then roll them all the way one way and then all the way the other way.  That usually helps to straighten them back up, if they are really bad and I mean really out of shape then maybe a very little spritz of water while they are attached and rolled back and forth and let them dry thoroughly before you unattach them from each other may help.

You are right - they are attached by double sided tape and if they are really out of wonk they can be replaced but you shouldn't have to do that very often…I haven't replaced mine in over 5 years and I have literally done almost 500 quilts.

I echo Vicki's great advice. I have my original 2004 leaders on and do 100 quilts a year. Mine look like yours--drawing in at the sides, but the edge I attach to is still straight. I have replacement leaders waiting to be attached ( a Christmas present last year :blink: ) and I'm replacing them because mine are dirty.

Yours look very white so I wonder if they are after-market and not from APQS. My replacements are the tan canvas color the same as my originals. If the pinning edge is straight, don't worry very much. Seldom will you need the full 120" of leader so that draw-in at the sides won't impact much.

James,

You can replace the leaders at any point (a  new set of 3 runs just under $45). However, don't stress if the left and right edges of each leader do not stack up on top of each other. We do our best to serge each end as straight as possible, but a little wandering is normal. Also, don't try to force the left and right edges to align as that will shift your center marks.

The crucial reference point should be that the center marks still line up on your canvases. If they don't, you'll quickly find that your quilts do not hang straight when complete. Instead they'll be askew to the left or right, depending on which way your centers shifted. If the center marks aren't aligned, temporarily re-mark them using the pick up roller center mark as your primary reference. An easy way to temporarily mark them is to take a few stitches over the edge of the canvas with a hand sewing needle and high contrast thread.

I don't even  use center marks for lining up quilts.  When pinning the backing to the takeup roller,  I start from the center and pin the backing every 10 inches or so and hand tighten the front roller.  It's easy to tell if the quilt back isn't loaded properly as you will see somewhat diagonal wrinkles or waves.  If it is loaded correctly, then I finish pinning the complete edge.  I've done 99 percent of my quilts this way and have not had any problems with the way they hang.

Archived