Working with India Silk Saris

Yesterday I took on a quite unusual job. Usually I just quit for people and do an occasional binding or might piece a back. That said at one time I also did garmet sewing for others. I still sew many of my own clothes and my Phaff will handle just about any fabric including frail chiffons and such.

Ok here is the job. A lady from India wanted to have a quilt made out of her saris as a memory quilt for the twin bed in her guest room. She want something pretty simple and I am going to look at enlarging either Yellow Brick Road Pattern or Turning Twenty pattern. India silk is pretty thin kinda like chiffon so I will make larger seams and do french seams. I know I can get the top pieced and she is paying me really top dollar to do so.

The big question is on the quiltng. Has anyone ever quilted something like this on their longarm? I have a Gammill so do not know if the APQS machines most of you have uses the same needles. Whay kind of needle should I use for this. Do I need a special thread and if so what kind. I will use Hobbs Organic Cotton batting and Roc Lon Muslin for the back extra wide so there will be no seam in the back. For quilting she just wants and simple allover loose meander so it is nothing elaborate there just want to be sure I get the best needle and thread for this job.

As I said I am getting paid pretty well for this job and the bonus is there are 6 saris in all. Each has 6 yards of 45" wide fabric and she told me to keep the fabric not used in the quilt..........................these are just beautiful and will make wonderful garmets like tops or even skirts.

Thanks in advance for help with this one!

I would suggest trying a ball point needle - this is the type that you would use on knit fabric. It's smooth on the bottom rather than sharp, so pushes the threads out of the way. I would think that you might have trouble with threads getting pulled as you stitch otherwise.

Look to see if you can buy an assortment pack of needles of varying sizes in ball point and sharp. I wouldn't go lower than a 3.5 (equivalent of a size 16) because of the industrial nature of your machine - you need a strong needle to take all the flexing from the free motion of the machine. Then put together a test sample and try them out.

For thread, I suggest a thin weight on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin.

Good luck!

Julia

Hi

I have quilted quite a few Japenese silk scarves. The ones I did were done before I got my APQS machine on my Gammill Classic. I did not use anything different then I woulld have used on any other medium. I probley used a smaller needle like a 16 or 14.

Here is a picture showing the quilting detail. More pictures here:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/77638135IMRFQA

post--13461897920413_thumb.jpg

Sherry your quilt is beautiful. Glad to know that you can do silk without anything too out of the ordinary. I have a few quilts ahead of this one. I will also be doing the piecing on this project as well (I usually only take in tops but decided to take on this project).

By the way I am still trying to figure out dates for your class.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I don't have a LA (yet), but my first thought if I was using my Bernina, would be silk thread. I took a free motion feather class with Diane Gaudyski in Paducah recently, and that's what she suggested for our sample. I really loved using silk thread! I don't know if it would be possible (or even desirable) to use on silk on a LA. Just something to throw into the "idea pot."

Sandy

Sherry is right, I did double wedding ring quilt made of silk. Backing was white cotton, I had to piece the backing. Smaller needle is best. 50# thread from Superior cotton wrapped poly. The silk will shine enough. No other special sewing needed expect that if you frog anything, do it from the back. Ask me how I know that,lol. If you use chalk, test it as I found some was tuff to get out, even water soluable pen. I had to get out with oxy clean liquid, vinger and cold water. Test how it react to water first. Good luck, like to see when done. Nita

The sari quilt is finished and back with the owner who just loved it! Here is a link to a photo on my webshots............there are 3 photos of it so just click next to see the closeups of it:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2425109990053837050oRqKOy

It was kinda hard to piece and the french seams took time but the quilting was fine. I used a small 14 needle, Signature 100% cotton thread, Hobbs Organic Cotton batting and muslin for the back. Threre were no problems with the quilting at all!

When I delived it she told me she might have me make another next year out of her blue saris:)

I glad you are done and it was succesful. I've quilted on silk dupioni, silk habotai, and silks used in ties. The quilting process it just about the same. What I've found very helpful on any silk that is thin or very ravelly is to back them with a very lightweight fusible interfacing such as Touch of Gold or Fusi-Knit. It gives them a body similar to regular quilting cottons and stops them from ravelling at the edges so French seams wouldn't have been neccessary. I do the backing before I ever cut out the pieces.

Archived