Virginia's Choice pattern???

My mother is wanting a quilt made. She said she saw a picture in a book and it was called Virginia's choice and it was blue and white. 

I have searched and searched my books and the internet and can't find anything like that.

I asked her to describe it and she is describing something similar to Dutch Windmills 

diagonal triangles with little hearts in the corners that make a flower where the blocks join

Has anybody ever heard of this pattern being called Virginia's choice?  If not, does anybody have any reference book with a picture of Virginia's choice?

That is different than Dutch Windmill.  The DW is triangles with points meeting in the middle and the half heart pieces of the opposite color at the outer points of the triangle.   My directions for the DW have the hearts pieced, interfaced and turned right side out, then appliqued on to the HST making a quarter block. 

I wonder if you could do the same but make HST with two color stripped triangles.

Hi Teresa,

A while back I made a somewhat similar block. What I remember is that you piece the squares with the alternating pink and white bars and triangles. Then you piece the heart shapes so the color alternates with the bars. Then you appliqué the heart shapes into place before you sew the four squares together.

It looks like it will make a beautiful quilt. I hope my directions above make sense. Good luck with it!! Be sure to share with us when you get it made! Merry Christmas!

Were I piecing it, it would depend on size.  If the strips were 3" or more, I'd sew the curves, then sew the

alternating colors together.  

If it is smaller, I would applique the hearts on, and would try to turn the curved edges under.  lol, I can't

stand raw edges poorly satin stitched.

It reminds me of the ...   fiddle!  the name just slipped off my tongue.   the one made up of only 2 colors, and

forms sort of a star where the corners meet. 

lol, I made one up in  Alaska in 1999 or 2000. 

Sorry I can't do better.   May be able to find a picture.

Rita

Teresa,

That block is also called "Hearts and Gizzards."  It's in the "El's Kitchen" book by Eleanor Burns.  Since she's a traditional quilter, I'm sure you can find this block elsewhere.  It was one of the blocks for the sampler quilt in this book.  We made the quilt for a raffle quilt last year.  At least that gives you another name to look for the pattern!

There's a YouTube video of it.  It's Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day series.  I can't get the address to copy and paste so just do a search for "Quilts from El's Kitchen - Hearts & Gizzards and Coffee Cup".  Go all the way to the end of the video at about 55 minutes and she shows how to do it.

I can look if I have the May/June 1998 issue of F&P because the pattern is in that issue.

Archived