Static electricity problems..

I have a 2012 Millie that I didn't start using much before November. It's on a carpeted floor. I get shocked when I touch the table from the front or the back. It happens often, but not all of the time. Sometimes I have to reset the stitch length and sometimes the channel locks. I live in Idaho and our air is pretty dry this time of the year.

How to I go about grounding the table.? What do I ground it to? Should I try a humidifier first?

Thanks,

You do need to have a humidifier going in the dry months to prevent the problems you're having as well as preventing any damage to electronic components.  I have one going and have it set at 40% humidity. Without it I have problems with my I/S on my machine (which is on carpeted floor also.)  You'll be surprised the difference after you get one going. :)

Hi Heidi! I live in Idaho also and have the same issues... Only my flooring is NOT carpet! I make a habit of "grounding" myself before touching the machine head. Just make sure you touch the frame, not the computer boards, to discharge yourself.  I wish I had room in my studio for a humidifier!

To create a ground, you need to dive a brass rod into the ground several feet, and connect a wire attached to the table and clamp it with a ground clamp, to the brass rod.  Since this isn't always practical (probably almost never) an alternative would be to clamp the wire to a water pipe if you have metal water pipes, or use the ground in your electrical system.  If you have metal outlet boxes attached to metal conduit, you can attach it to the box for the ground.  The switch plate screw would be an easy way to do that.  If you don't have a metal conduit electrical system (and most of us don't these days) you can attach it to the ground terminal (the green screw) of an outlet, or switch.  Not difficult to do, but if you're not familiar with electrics you might want to have someone who is. do it for you.  Jim 

Yes, in dry climates like Idaho, Wyoming, etc. you do need a humidifier. I just bought one at Walmart and fill it morning and night. Sometimes the dry air adds to thread breakage. There are threads I can run in the summer while running a swamp cooler, that I struggle with in the winter. Keep in mind that air erase marks come off more quickly with humidity. While running the swamp cooler this summer, I couldn't even mark a stencil before the marks were gone and had to go to other marking solutions. There used to be a wrist band that you wore to work on computers. You can also mis fabric softener with water and spritz your carpet to assist in resisting static, or there is a spray until you get the humidity built up. Maybe a rubber mat over your carpet also. Some shoes also increase static.

Shirley

Thanks for all your suggestions. I thought I should ask for suggestions before drilling a hole in the wall and running a wire down to ground level and attaching it to a rod.

I have non-computerized commercial sewing machines, a metal file cabinet and exercise equipment in the room. Have tried touching all of these first to no avail. I can ground to an outlet ground, but like many newer homes, windows, plumbing...nothing is metal anymore.

It looks like my best and simplistic option is to put a humidifier in the room.

my humidifier has been running constantly and I fill it every night and morning....it does help...as the temps insist on being below zero and maybe down to -27 Saturday, I really can't keep the humidity up.....I probably need to get a second one.....I have been having problems with my accuquilt go when I use it because the static builds up when I roll the dies through and everything sticks to everything.....and I did some embroidery on my machine....and the rayon threads really went everywhere and stuck to things when I trimmed them....making a big pot of soup helps some too!  and is warm in the tummy.....Lin

I just keep one of those small $10.00 crockpots going with the lid off in the room with my machine, I had a problem with that several years ago and actually blew my mother boards because of static electricity.  APQS sent these little wavy washers that I also put on my handles to help ground and protect the machine…no problems since then, every now and then if it feels really dry I just spritz the air around my machine too….

To create a ground, you need to dive a brass rod into the ground several feet, and connect a wire attached to the table and clamp it with a ground clamp, to the brass rod.  Since this isn't always practical (probably almost never) an alternative would be to clamp the wire to a water pipe if you have metal water pipes, or use the ground in your electrical system.  If you have metal outlet boxes attached to metal conduit, you can attach it to the box for the ground.  The switch plate screw would be an easy way to do that.  If you don't have a metal conduit electrical system (and most of us don't these days) you can attach it to the ground terminal (the green screw) of an outlet, or switch.  Not difficult to do, but if you're not familiar with electrics you might want to have someone who is. do it for you.  Jim 

How lucky can I be???? It just so happens I have a copper grounding rod in my studio floor right behind my table. The previous owner was a radio operator. I haven't noticed any static electricity, but you can be sure I'll be grounding it.

Archived