How should I quilt this?

Hi Everyone,

My parents are coming to visit in a few weeks and I decided I need to finish a quilt I started 14 years ago for my bed before they get here.  I will be glad to get this UFO done!  I've been putting it off until I felt more comfortable with Millie, but I'm going to bite the bullet and get'er finished.  The only ideas I have for finished this 96" by 110" quilt is to put feathers in the outer border, Feather wreaths in the white squares of the second border and possibly cables or ropes in the small green border.  I don't know what to do with the flying geese, or the center blocks.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Here are some photos.  And thank you all for being so willing to share on this forum.

11916754896_0b9e4dafd2_n.jpg
IMG_0418 by Heirloom Quilter, on Flickr

11916325984_8205ab08e0_n.jpg
IMG_0417 by Heirloom Quilter, on Flickr

11916327954_3b2fb097c3_n.jpg
IMG_0416 by Heirloom Quilter, on Flickr

11916767856_f6ae4a3dab_n.jpg
IMG_0415 by Heirloom Quilter, on Flickr

11915866845_0bde1dca33_n.jpg
IMG_0412 by Heirloom Quilter, on Flickr

I would bead board the outer border and do feather wreaths in all of the larger blocks.  CC the flying geese sections. Some sort of swirl in other borders (be sure to SID all of those) and cc in the rectangular pieced section.  You could do some sort of curved arc work in the largers printed squares if you didn't want heavy quilting.

I would cc the geese or some kind of cc'ish design.  Pam Clark has a ton of options for flying geese.  I would do a large cc in the brown blocks and then fill with a feather type design to pull in the feathers in the light blocks and border.  My norm is to pick something like feathers and use it in most elements of the quilt and then fill with other designs.  To create a frame I would use some straight lines.

Archived