Quilt Path Upgrade Worse than Before

kloar

Has anyone upgraded to 3.05.05 and had more trouble than with the previous version? (I had all the problems previously discussed in earlier versions) I upgraded today both the software (and the firmware that it said was highly recommended). Now when sewing a pantograph row, it just randomly stops. I can't release the carriage and have to turn everything off, reboot and start over. It may or may not stop in the same place across the row. It happens when tracing too. I also have gotten the USB connection is lost- check the cables/power. Everything is plugged in and nothing is loose. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice or know how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Hi Karen,

I didn't have these problems before I upgraded. Yes, I optimized it to have the checks for breaks on. I should have left it alone and lived with the other problems...sigh.. Now I'm in the middle of a quilt that has a deadline and can't get through the 3rd row. Took me 3 hours to get through 2 rows... bigger sigh...
My rep moved out of the area so I don't have one nearby unfortunately. I'll have to call tomorrow when I get home and see if Dawn or Cabin Logic can help. I thought maybe it was happening to someone else.

We were having this problem - I figured out that if our tablet was plugged into the usb hub and then the usb hub was plugged into the usb cord to the sewing machine head that the program would hang up and the longarm would just stop and we'd have to reboot everything to continue.  I unplugged the hub.  Plugged the usb cord from the sewing machine head directly into the tablet and haven't had any problems since then.  Hope this helps you.

Update, I called Cabin Logic and got a very nice lady. She changed some options in my QP and now all seems OK and that's with the hub back in. I had taken it out and it didn't help. Still got random stopping. As it turns out in the options there is a needle sensing, thread sensing and power sensing option. If your machine has that capability they should be checked but if it doesn't (my Millie is 2009), having those checked can cause a myriad of problems. I unchecked them and so far, so good- no more problems at least in block patterns. We also changed some settings setting in Windows for USB timeout and in QP for the interface time out.
Dawn, Chris called me but by that time I had talked to Marie. He asked me to call him back and let him know if everything was resolved which I will do next week after more sewing.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been suffering terribly with these issues, before and after the upgrades.  i will try removing the hub tonight to see if it will work with a direct line to the head.  i also get screens that freeze and grey out and just stays like that.  i have to reboot the whole system and machine .  Going to the last stitch stitched does not work when i do this.  i have to do placement all over again. i have spent more hours rebooting ,picking out thread and redoing the placement and going over the panto with no thread than i have actually quilted with the QP.  I would like to send the whole kitten kabootle back and take all the money i have invested in Quilt Path and do something less stressful.  This is not worth the little time i have to do things i am supposed to enjoy.  I am very computer literate and i work on computers all day.  I find this program so lacking in education and i find myself wondering why my embroidery software is so much more sophicated for one tenth of the cost of QP... If i am wrong i sure would like to hear more on this subject. 

Terry,

Have you called Grace about the screen freezing?  It almost sounds like an issue with Windows caching of memory or paging size.  I know they increased mine on my tablet last fall.  Also, sometimes when you are doing a very large quilt, with a dense panto it can take a while for the calculations.  I try to do it and then go grab a drink or do something else for a couple minutes so that I am not staring at the screen.   Then it is ready to go when I get back.  If you are doing dense quilting, it may actually be working and may just need a little more time. 

I do not leave my hub plugged in. 

Have you installed any other programs onto your tablet?  

I decided to keep my tablet in airplane mode so that it can not attempt to communicate with my wireless network.  That way, it is not using resources to constantly ping my server instead of letting me use them to quilt.  

Hi Angela,

Yes i talked to Grace company before Xmas and they had me reinstall Quilt Path and install the newest update.  I have not quilted anything larger than a baby quilt since last fall when i first set up QP and started using it.  Actually i left work at lunch time so i could go home and try quilting my wall hanging on the table now and call APQS if something went wrong today.  I took the advice from above and took the hub right off the machine and plugged the head directly to the tablet.  I then got my panto back in place.  I started it up and not once did it freeze on me ... :).  I only have quilted loose designs so far .  Last night and today i tried a feather combination for a 4" border which was not a dense design. I hope this is the end of my issues and    I apologize for my loss of temper in my earlier post but it is so frustrating when you try every little thing and nothing has worked for months.  I have not installed any thing else on my tablet and i live in the country with no high speed internet except my hot spot on my cell phone.  I keep that to a very minimum so i don't rack up a high data bill.  I do have internet at work.  Thanks for your suggestions and i will keep you posted if everything goes well. (or Not).

Terry

To see what is going on with your computer when it seems to be hung.  Touch taskbar at bottom of screen until box appears. In it will be TASK MANAGER. Start this up an you will most likely see Quiltpath active using between 30-40% CPU. It happens...  Saving patterns, messing around with large quilt sizes, patterns with a lot of dots. It's frustrating but I don't mind my QP on the network so I read the news and what not while it thinks about what it wants to do.  

good luck,

tom

I forgot the part about if you see Quiltpath using CPU and you are tired of waiting on it select the process in Task Manager and the click on END TASK. This should end the Quilt Path process and you shouldn't have to re-boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,  

I am going to try checking the task manager tomorrow and see what is happening with QP while it is running.  I will keep you posted.

Sorry I am so delayed getting back to the forum but i caught a bug last and havent been able to quilt yet.  Thanks for the tips.

Terry

Archived