What's the BEST business decision you've made?

I was approached by several quilters to teach longarming in my local area.  I am willing but need to figure out a pricing for it.   The classes would be about 4 hrs long.    I would teach them from my longarm.  I was thinking no less than $50/hr since it includes my machine and materials also time and information.  

I was approached by several quilters to teach longarming in my local area.  I am willing but need to figure out a pricing for it.   The classes would be about 4 hrs long.    I would teach them from my longarm.  I was thinking no less than $50/hr since it includes my machine and materials also time and information.  

What a great opportunity, Karen. One way to figure pricing is to add all your prep hours (making hand-outs and samples), the cost of fabric and batting, the time it takes to load the machine, and your total teaching hours. Then figure what your target hourly rate is when you quilt for customers. Multiply and see if that amount is reasonable and what a student is willing to pay.  Will the classes be one-on-one or small groups? The hands-on classes with your own machine head or with two to a machine at the big shows are running about $175 for four hours or so.

Good luck and I'm sure it'll be lots of fun as well as lots of work.

Thank you for the prompt reply, Linda, and I am not sure but think only one will do the class to start.  I was thinking of starting with loading a quilt and tension in both bobbin and top with a test quilt sandwich.  Changing needle and oiling. Then to start teach loop-de-loop.  Then the "C" or Wave.  Then some leaves on the loops, and meanders, followed by the hearts and flowers, geometric and echo.  Then a few tips on quilting blocks.  I might teach the feathers also.

I really think my best decision was to hire a good but inexpensive book keeper, and tax lady. 

Makes life so much easier forus to avoid tension, and easier to pay the correct amount each quarter.

Many other very good decisions, and this was the best.

Rita

Vicki,

Love the idea of DVD's,  because I live in Canada, it's not always that easy to get to a big show,  I've done a couple and they're awsome, but DVD's really help you to PPP.  New ideas etc.  UTube is also a great learning tool, and even if you just pick up one tiny little thing in each class,  soon you're just that much more talented.  And of course the great sharing community of APQS and MQR.  Most everyone is so giving of their pictures and ideas.  You can learn a lot.  

I hope I haven't made my best decision yet, but stumbling on this website and forum was definitely right up there!  I've also reached out to a few people here and they've been so gracious and I appreciate that.  One of my worst decisions was estimating how l-o-n-g it would take me to be a real longarmer.  And I still don't know if I really love it yet but am going to keep practicing until I do.  My saddle stool arrives Friday and I hope that helps.

Joan

Archived