What's the BEST business decision you've made?

Since there's the incredibly informative thread of what's the worse business decision you've ever made, I thought that it would be interesting to find out what every one thinks their BEST business decision they've made. Of course my business hasn't even been started yet but I think that for me it'll have been the decision not to rush into anything, to take the time for research, etc. Oh, and since I've had a blog for eight years I thought that my business name should be a reflection of that (Lemon Tree Tales) so I chose to call it The Quilted Lemon. Is that too dorky? Can you tell that I'm very excited and hope to be able to order my machine soon?  :D

I suppose everyone will gladly say their best business decision was to buy the best machine. And it doesn't matter what machine you have, you think it's the best!  ;)

But I want to add that my best business decision was to own my business. By that, I mean I make the decisions, good or bad. I take classes to improve my skills. I keep up on the latest longarming trends. I have a generous group of longarmers (hey Moxies!) who care and share and I love them, I turn down customers who are a pita, I embrace my wonderful customers who I "get" and who "get" me, and I can go in any direction I want to in the business. It took me years to build the confidence to "own" my business. But it definitely comes!

I don't have a business, but I love the name, "The Quilted Lemon."  Lemons make you think of summer, lemonade, sweet but tart, freshness, squeaky clean, pretty yellow.  I think it evokes a nice feeling!

Peg F. 

(p.s.-I call myself  "The Sew Asylum"  because I like all things scary and paranormal.  My sister said, "That is so YOU!"  lol)

I'm with Linda!  Know your niche.  Mine is custom hand guided quilting, it is what I do best.  Also - I took one of Dawn Cavanaugh's classes on pricing and was nervous about what I charged when I first set my prices but it turns out I ended up with more customers despite my prices being a little higher than the others in my area.  I do work hard to keep my quality of stitching up to the best it can be and I charge accordingly, but I also think people will think they are getting what they pay for and if you charge garage sale prices, you will get those customers that treat your work like it is a garage sale or bargain.  I also think the ability to say "bye bye - we'll miss you!" is definitely freeing to those who are pita's!  Your work should be enjoyable - not stressful!  I guess my best move was to set up a business mission statement and stick to it, "knowing what kind of work is in your wheelhouse" - as my hubby says, or ..."building a quality portfolio of customers.."  Like Linda says - own it!

My BEST business decision was deciding NOT to go into business. In order to succeed in business you have to put a great deal of your time, money and energy into it. It has to be all three at the same time. There was a time when I had to the money and energy to start a new business, but I didn't have the time. Then I had the time and money, but no energy. There is a whole lot more to owning a successful quilting business than printing out business cards and taking in a few quilts. Even if you are talented enough to be able to do lovely quilts you still have the "business" side of it to take care of. The licensing, taxes, insurances...etc. And as it has been stated here...you have to do continuing education so you can stay current on the trends and keep your abilities top notch. It's a business because it's a lot of work. I applaud all of you who have accomplished this so well.

My best decision was NOT doing a business either.........I agree with Oma........... :)  It took me a long time to get enough confidence to attempt to quilt for others.   I did some things for our quilt group, but most of our quilts go to charity and don't need to be "great"............then, I started getting asked by other people to quilt for them.   I did a few, but it made me nervous and I didn't enjoy it.   Then I got a few "troublemakers" in the mix and that did it.............I now do not quilt for others - especially those I don't know.  There are a couple gals in my quilt group I quilt for, but I know their work and they never want anything too extensive AND appreciate the time involved.   I've also been burned by family members who took advantage of me............I ended that, too!   I started out making t-shirt quilts for graduating nieces and nephews as our gift to them.........the parents paid for any materials..........I did the assembly and quilting and finishing.........PRETTY NICE GIFT if you ask me.   But it was something I enjoyed.  THEN, I got the niece from "H" who got too demanding and thought my gift was open ended, no expiration date, then had the gall to plan for me to make quilts for ALL 5 of her kids...........the youngest is 9...........I am 66........She didn't want to take "maybe" for an answer, so she finally got a heartfelt NO, NO, NO !!!!  I also had to threaten to tell her Mother that she owed me money for the supplies before she paid me what was agreed on !    I informed the rest of the family there would be no more t-shirt quilts done by "good old Aunt Linda". 

I enjoy my Milie for myself, my Mom and my quilt group.   I earned my "free" time for a hobby and intend to enjoy it to the fullest before I am no longer able to do it.   As Linda said..........."own your business"...........I "own my hobby".......... :D

Sounds like that would be a fitting business name for your business!  I find it interesting how people choose their business names.  Maybe that needs to be a new thread, too!  

Since Linda hit the nail on the head for probably most of our BEST business decisions which is the purchasing of our machines, I'll tell you the 2nd best business decision I made for ME.  That is that I no longer will agree to match the thread to the back of the quilt if the thread on the front of the quilt is a different color.  I can't tell you how many hours I stressed about the tension being "perfect" so no pin dots would show on either the front or the back of the quilt especially if the customer used thin batting in their quilt and not top quality quilt material for the quilt top or back.  I made a rule that if they can't live with the same color of thread on the back that is what is on the front that they can take their quilt somewhere else.  I won't put myself through that stress anymore.  I can say that over 95% of my customers were okay with this, but I still have a few that pitched a fit.  Oh well.  That is where I "own" my business.

DH and I owned and operated another l business for several years before I started my quilting business.  So when I was just starting my quilting business, the saying he used to tell me all the time when we had our 1st business would pop into my head... "you have to spend money to make money".  He was absolutely correct although I cringed every time he used to tell me that because it meant he was going to spend some money that I didn't want him to spend!   Therefore I didn't feel bad about purchasing the extras to improve and expand my quilting abilities. ;)

I would have to say my BEST decision was writing out instructions on how to prepare your top and backing for quilting and send them with each quilt I finished.  It made a huge difference on the next quilts I got from my customers.   ;)

I would say adding QP. I did custom and overalls. But I also make commissioned quilts, as well as other minkee quilts that I sell. It quilts the all overs while I stitch up my next project. I still do quite a few hand guided and custom, but when making the quilts I sell, I can piece one in the time it quilts one and I didn't kill myself off last holiday season. Also taking classes in topics for you as well as your business. I like to do all sorts of things. It is just finding the time to do it. My other best thing is if I need to go take care of family business I do it, no regrets. My customers all know that I may have to leave town at a moments notice, but I communicate with them. They are great about it, but I reciptprocate and know they have quilt emergencies too. I am actually starting to get a pretty steady stream going and I keep busy and my accountant might Ctually be happy this year.

Shirley

For me, the best decision was also NOT to have a business. I used to have an embroidery business, but struggled with my health issues, and people who did not want to pay.  Now I quilt and embroider for me and my family and gifts. No time pressures because some days I can't quilt at all.  (Neck pain.)  I would love to have a little Etsy store, and I have considered it several times, because I do have the machinery to make things others can't so I am sure I could sell a few things, but just not sure about it.  It would definitely be "low key."  I would just like to make enough money to pay for my fabric and supplies.

My best business decision was to...retire! :)

I did go back to work but since I work at my discretion and for the things I think are important, I get to work on my terms and only work where I feel I can give back to try to repay some of the good fortune I have had in my life. It is amazing how many good things one can do when money is not your major (necessarily) motivation. My field is healthcare and I have worked to try to help less fortunate and vulnerable populations. I don't know how much longer I will do this since my DW retired last Summer. I am giving it 1-2 years to see if a part time schedule will allow me to continue to do the work I think is important to do but still allow the DW and I enough time together (she is retired but an active artist and needs time to do her work). If not, family, of course, comes first!

If you are going to go into business, I think as Linda mentioned, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to get some education.  I am constantly floored by people who buy such expensive machines, add very expensive robotics, and then complain that they have no money to travel to a show to take classes.  I have attended a major quilt show and taken classes every year since I bought my machine in 2004.  Sometimes two or more shows a year.  Admittedly, I've now come to the time in my career where most of the classes would be repeats, since I've taken most of the technique classes, but I still do occasionally take some on new piecing ideas (rulers, shortcuts), or new things that can be done with my IQ.  Classes would be my best recommendation.

Definitely agree Linda. I have numerous people in town that call and want me to help them with their long arms, but won't drive the 2-1/2 hours to take a class at HMQS, but they will drive there to shop. They claim the classes are too expensive. I won't help those that are too lazy to make an effort. You spent all this money on a machine, why not learn how to use it. Oh and the want to borrow my books and videos. So not going to happen. I have one friend that is welcome to my books and videos, etc. but she is hyper and would love to take a class, but she's an overachiever and does everything in double time and couldn't sit thru a class. And she assists me when I'm stuck. But she hand quilted for years. She only quilts for herself and sends people my way.

Not everyone should start a business. It is a personal decision. I did it so I could set my own schedule and I'm glad I did, since hubby wants to retire. I'd rather he didn't for a while, at least until he gets some projects lined up. I will not have in sit in a chair and wither away like his dad did.

Shirley

Dave, I asked my husband this question and he said exactly what you did, "best thing I did was retire."  He was a mail carrier for over 30 years. So many changes at the post office and he just could not handle it anymore.  He was so good at his job, looking after the people on his route, especially the elderly.  They miss him!   Also have 3 other retired mail carriers in my family.  Shirley, I too have learned not to lend out books.  Never get them back!  I love taking classes but find it so difficult to sit thru them due to some health issues.  Some of the quilt shops in my area have free and paid classes or "clubs."  I try so hard to get there but can't always go.  I could not travel out of town and get thru a trip like that.  I had to go to Arizona for my hubs and me to pick up my Tiara, and that almost killed me. Maybe that could be one reason people don't always take classes, just a thought.  Online classes, such as at Craftsy, are the answer for me, LOVE them.

I love every one's stories and advice.

For me, starting a quilting business will be something that I'm looking forward to very much. I used to be a swimwear designer - first working for a company and then later I went on to freelance. While I freelanced I worked 70+ hour work weeks, kept track of the time I spent designing, working on the computer graphics, meeting with vendors, etc. The only thing I didn't experience was to have direct customers. My "customers" were either store buyers or manufacturers. Quilting at home will be a way to earn a supplemental income for the household while still being creative and yet have the flexibility to be available when my husband needs me to run errands etc. At 45 I'm too young to be retired so I really want this to work out.  :-)

After reading all of these posts, I would like to add for those who do want to do a business, if you cannot travel to classes which really are fantastic (I did the trek to MQX for 2 years), then you should invest in how-to dvd classes.  There is a lot to be said for watching someone while they teach you how to do something on your longarm. They not only teach you but also you feel re-assured that you can do this as most of the teachers not only teach but also relay their confidence to you as well…it's more than just watching someone sew something on another machine and you feel more "empowered" and confident as well as enthused to try something new!

Also, I must also add that I love most all of my customers!!!  They are a lot of fun and again, their excitement in seeing their quilt quilted, feeds my creativity as well.

I am one of those who does not have easy access to classes, but I actually love the DVDs...........I have several and I can play them over and over when I need a refresher.   I'm not in business, but just for my own personal quilting education.   I took the Beginner Class from Dawn shortly after I got my machine and that was great.   I never did get a chance to get the Advanced Beginner Class, but found I like the DVDs.

One of my best decisions was to learn from other business owners.  Not just the wonderful people here, but also my hairdresser.  I have learned so much from Warren about running a small business, and I bet he doesn't even know it!

I've learned about a great place to get a saddle stool from Warren, as well as the importance of listening to your customer and offering suggestions.  I have naturally curly hair, so will go to Warren and say "I want it to look like this." and show him a photo of someone with stick straight hair.  Warren always responds positively, I.e. "That's nice, but your hair won't do that."  Sounds much better than "You've got to be kidding." which is what I'm sure he thinks at times.  Talking to customers.  What do they like and don't like.  Give them options, but not so many that they are overwhelmed.  Offer suggestions.  "What do you think about...."

Yep Millie was definately, the best decision, followed by my Quilt Path.  (Which did make my accountant happy with me last year.)

I am going to talk about number three.  Putting a focus on my longarm continuing education from the start.  I invested in going to Houston and MQS and took a lot of classes, for 4 years.  Last year was the first year I did not travel to go to classes and I really missed it.  No matter what class I take I always walk away with something I didn't know before.  I also joined our state longarm group.  I instantly got a group of mentors.  And now I share the love and mentor too. In addition to those two, I have a library of instructional DVDs.   I am still focused on continuing to grow as a longarmer.  

My advice is to be a sponge!  If someone is willing to sit down and draw with you, take them up on it.  If they are willing to talk about pricing strategy, listen.  If you have something that you can share, do it.  

Love this topic!  I was amazed when I read Cindy's comment about matching backing thread to top thread.  I write a blog and one of my readers also lived in MT--she suggested we meet for lunch at a halfway point.  One of the many topics we discussed was how she knew a well known quilter who would only use matching threads front and back.  Her comment to me was, "if it's good enough for XXXXXX, it's good enough for me."  That was a liberating lunch and since that point in time, I've stopped stressing about pokies--I try to use the same or similar thread color now.  I've also educated my customers about this issue and they get it.  I also loved Linda's comments about "owning the business."  I own my business--I tell PITA customers, "I'm sorry, my schedule is full."  I tell customers, "I use only Superior and Fil-Tec threads, they work better with my machine."  Almost six years later and I still love what I do.

Tami, I wish you great luck! It sounds like you have so much experience in the business world that you could not fail if you tried.   Vicki, getting DVD's is a great idea. I plan on getting some as soon as I can!   I have several on my wishlist already.   Right now I am fixing up my sewing room a bit, painting shelves, etc.  I also learn a lot on Youtube, and the tutorials available at some quilting and fabric websites.  It will be great to be able to watch the DVD's again and again.  That is one thing I like about Craftsy classes, too. Once you buy one, you can watch it again as long as you live. You can ask questions, too.

Archived