Threads for quilting

I'm just looking for some input or opinions on what type of thread people use for their quilting. I'm just learning to FMQ and until I can afford a long arm am doing it very slowly on my domestic machine. I've heard arguments for cotton only thread and for polyester but would love some more input.

My very favorite thread is Glide by Fil-Tec.  You can find it at www.bobbincentral.com  Superior also makes great thread.  So Fine is a poly that looks like cotton, and comes in a couple of different thicknesses.  For many years, quilters preferred cotton thread because poly was said to cut the quilt top.  This turns out to be quite untrue.  Try a few different types and see what you like best.  I would say most of the common threads you find in JoAnns or Hobby Lobby are made for more general sewing and not quilting, per se, so I would try Fil-Tec's or Superior's threads for free-motion quilting.

There are people that want cotton thread only. I however try whatever I want or have that's the color I want. Some machines don't like certain threads, and others take more adjustment than others. I agree with Heidi, if your just starting out, use what your already using with success, then once you get a feel for quilting on your machine, try whatever you want to try. I personally use everything from So Fine, Lava, Glude, silk and many more. Just buy one cone of a type of thread until you know if you like the way your machine works with if.

Have fun, thread is like candy. You never have enough. My husband would disagree!

Shirley

I recently tried glide. Because most of the gals here swear by it. It's a really nice thread. I've since gotten several different colors to play with it more. But most of my threads are Essential pro from connecting threads. My Millie really likes it and so do I. As well as So Fine. Quilting On my domestic machine Metro thread seems to work well.

I agree use whatever you have around. Just as long as your enjoying quilting.

Domestic machines have an easier time handling a variety of threads than some long arm machines.  Since you are learning to FMQ, I'd recommend that you take advantage of the wonderful teachers, classes and books out there.  Sue Nickels is a wonderful teacher and fairly traditional quilter w/several good books on free motion with a domestic machine.  Leah Day has a website and tons of free videos on a variety of easy free motion patterns.  Craftsy offers several beginning quilting classes online for quilting on a domestic machine…traditional or modern style.  

I found it helpful to look over the quilter's shoulder so I enjoyed the Youtube videos of Sharon Schamber & Adam Chenevert when I was learning.

I agree with others here…choose the thread that runs most easily on your machine.  Be sure to use the correct foot and a sharp needle (not universal) that is the right size for the thread you've selected.  The weightier the thread (lower numbers), the larger your needle eye should be (higher numbers).  If you run into any problems, we welcome your questions on the Forum.  Most of us began as sit down quilters…those of us who quilt on the APQS George are still moving the fabric under the needle just like you're doing on your DSM.  Hope this helps,  Nancy in Tucson

Archived