I was wondering......

I do not wrap the thread around the tension disks.  I bring it in from the right, around the bottom of the disks, catch the wire finger and make sure the thread is seated in the disks, and continue to the take up lever.  It never occurred to me to wrap the thread around the disks to add tension to the thread.

Well, I usually do as Carmen does. However, I decided to wrap around once and then catch the wire finger.  I found that the stitches seem to be a bit nicer doing this.  I know it is different with ever machine, mine is an ULT11.  

I was wondering what everyone else was doing and if they saw a difference in wrapping or not.

'

You typically do not wrap thread around the tension disks.  It just goes almost around, and is "pinched" between the tension assembly disks.  The rotory tension assemblies are different, and you do wrap the thread around the assembly, typically 1.75 times.

Wrapping around the disk system will inrease your tension, which you should be able to do by simply tigntening the disks.  If you wrap, you run the risk of the thread catching on the "screw" that the assembly tightens on, and perhaps damaging the thread.  That being said, I do wrap the thread once around my bobbin winder tension assembly.  I do that to make sure that the thread does not come out of the tension assembly when I change threads. (I tie off and pull the thread through rather than re-threading each time I change)

I've given some thought to adding a rotory assembly to my machine, because it would take up the slack between the tension assembly and the take up lever, but I haven't gotten around to thinking it all out yet.  Jim

Archived